Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 196

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: postwar Coachbuilt Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Thanks!
I feel better. My one active brain cell was worried about expiration. It's already quite lonely.

Posted on: 2009/1/31 11:53
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Some figures on 48 - 50 wheelbases. Standard chassis is 120 inch wb. Custom 127 inch wb, 7 inches added from firewall foreward. Seven passenger 141 inch wb, add 21 inches to rear passenger compartment to the standard chassis. This was added from the middle of the rear door back to the wheel opening. Custom limo 148 inch wb , add 21 inches to the Custom chassis. Just my comparison of the 3 different models we own.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 10:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Back to the two 1947 Derham Convertible Sedans.

I have reviewed the Derham archives, maintained by the CCCA library in Hickory Corners, MI. Attached are top-down/top-up photographs of the car built for the Sheikh of Kuwait. This is the car described in the coachbuilt.com web content. That content is wrong in one regard. It refers to this as red, when in fact when completed it was Plymouth Gun Metal Grey. According to the archives, the Sheikh had selected a Hudson Copper Red, but later changed it to Grey, with red leather interior. Other modifications included a siren and flashing light, that is barely visible above the front bumper, and flaring of the rear fenders and an increased trunk. The latter was to increase the length to 21 feet 6 inches. This car was ordered by Gulf Oil Corporation as a gift for the sheikh. In the first correspondence Gulf Oil asked for either a Packard or Cadillac 7 passenger chassis.

As regards the other 1947 Derham Convertible Sedan, it was built for the Packard Export Corporation, for delivery to Lebanon or Syria. I have not yet identified who the final customer was. It sported a "telephone" in the front and rear compartments.

Both of these cars started as stock 148 inch wheelbase 7-passenger sedans, and had partitions installed.

These cars are of particular interest to me, as I am converting one of my 47's to an improved (modern) "sheikh car". Does anyone have any engineering for the convertible top?

Attach file:

pdf Size: 338.79 KB; Hits: 60

Posted on: 2009/6/20 13:40
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don, thanks for the interesting history, some of it was previously unknown to me. I did receive your SASE and as soon as I can I'll dig out and photocopy the article we discussed on these cars.

Your picture above is one of those used in that article, but there are others as well.

Posted on: 2009/6/20 14:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Don Skotty,

See you have a number of Packards in the garage - "1939 Twelve 1707 1233 5 pass Tourer, 1939 Twelve 1708 1234 7 pass Tourer, 1942 Super 8 180 Formal Sedan, 1947 Custom Super Clipper 2126, 2150 Custom Convertible Sedan, 1947 Custom Super Clipper 2126 2151, 1946 Custom Super Clipper Sedan". I invite you to include them in PackardInfo's Owner Registry together with pic's, any known history and how you acquired them.

Posted on: 2009/6/20 16:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
My pdf contains 2 photo's of the Sheikh's packard. Try clicking quickly between page 1 and page 2 and vice versa.

I will post the photo's of the other 47 Derham, and get my Packards into the owners registry. Thanks for your comments.

Posted on: 2009/6/20 16:42
Don Skotty
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Don Skotty wrote:........I will.......get my Packards into the owners registry.....

Don,
in anticipation, I'll look forward to seeing your Packards in the Registry.

Posted on: 2009/6/20 17:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Don: To get a length of 21'6" Derham did more than just increase flaring the rear fenders and increasing the trunk area. Derham extended the front bumper brackets and splash pan by three inches. The rear bumper brackets and splash pan was also increased by three inches.

The car was delivered to Gulf Oil on December 17, 1947. The Packard was never delivered to Kuwait because Gulf Oil never got the contract they were seeking from the Shiek. Gulf Oil kept the car which still exists today.

Derham charged Gulf Oil $8,700.00 for the conversion. The delivery price of the seven passenger sedan from Packard was $ 4,504.00 with excise tax of $ 609.00 bringing the total cost to $ 13,813.00.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/6/20 21:20
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Don: Now concerning the other conversion done by Derham.

The car was order by the President of Lebanon in a letter dated December 27, 1946.. The Packard was shipped to Derham on February 25, 1947 and completed and delivered on September 10, 1947.

The car was painted black and had a light tan top. The drivers compartment was done in black leather, while the passengers compartment was done in brown cloth.

Derham charged $ 5,580.00 to do the conversion.

I hope this information helps you concerning both cars in question.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/6/20 21:33
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
John,

Thanks so much for the information on both the Derham convertibles. Do you know where the Gulf Oil Derham is?

Posted on: 2009/6/21 0:50
Don Skotty
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved