Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 148

Joe, JohnCobb, humanpotatohybrid, Gary Kulp, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: 15% Ethanol
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
LPG is a cooler running, cleaner fuel. However, without optimizing the engine for it (higher compression, etc.), most converts realize about a 10% power loss. Now on a 500HP V8, no biggie. But on my 150hp Packard, i won't wanna lose 15hp!! A lot of people in Australia do conversions i guess. When i had a Jag v12 i talked to a guy that did a conversion...he loved it to death.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 12:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
US may have at least 100 yrs of natural gas supply

It's about time for another large natural gas price hike then--just like that of a few years ago when they claimed shortages.

If you google natural gas shortage, there are several articles. Right now, China and India seem to be the big ones -- although we have considerably increased our demand for all the new electrical plants. Three fairly large ones recently (last 5-6 years) started in this area alone. Only a matter of time before our "abundant" supplies start going overseas in large quantity -- which will decrease supply here so same demand = shortage = price increase and the cycle repeats.

Believe corn, ethanol and food prices are already in the cycle now.

The movie "Gasland", winner Best Documentary at Sundance this year,

Art imitates fact?? Wasn't there just an episode of a TV show that followed this same scenario--maybe CSI.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 12:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard you are correct. It was CSI about 3 weeks ago. They were "fraking" the ground in a small rural town over a few years, and nearly all the town and livestock was now dying from various forms of cancer.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 17:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
There is a real town in Texas where that happened, the mayor visited this area last summer to warn of the very real hazards from this type of drilling. NY DEC has now put all "fracking" on hold while it reviews the issues.

It continues, however, over the PA line (only 5 mi away). One group of 15 houses is suing to have a drilling company pay for a miles long water line to be put in from a nearby town because all their wells have been ruined.

Much as the idea of running cars on LP appeals, there is always some kind of cost, there is no free lunch. But there is no worry about fuel for our old cars, there are many kinds of alternatives, however expensive they may turn out to be.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 9:41
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
FYI. I have no personal knowledge of the HVA so this is new to me too. Here it is from the VI list.

" The HVA (Historic Vehicle Association) is geared to North America enjoying it's vintage vehicles. This is the North American branch of the Global FIVA (Federation International for Vehicles Ancients). I'm sure we can all translate this.
Right now, ethanol fuels are in their sites. Give it a look."

Posted on: 2010/12/12 9:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
More from the VI list. THis is from one of the long time BIG 3 Indian (motorcycle) dealers. Anyone that wants to read the 30 - 40 posts regarding floats and gasoline variations can do so at
ViltualIndian@Yahoogroups.com.

IT very informative RELATIVE TO FUEL AND FLOAT problems and the posts are from long time well experienced Indian owners and some dealers/service providers. Of course ther eis always the flippant and diatribe type drivvel that occurs in I'net discussions but the informative content about float material and fuel variations is very good.

Here's a post from the one of the Big 3 Indian (vintage US MADE Indian m/c) dealers:

"I stopped selling the brass floats because the only ones available are ones made in India and the quality control is non-existent. I was testing every float before I sold it, and still had warranty returns due to leaks. I gave up!

Brass floats used to be made in the USA by Kokesh and they were really good quality.

Since I could not obtain a good float, I decided to manufacture our own float.
Since we started making our Nitrophyl Foam Floats - I now have several thousand in use. To date I have not had any complaints. I keep several floats in my shop soaking in gas. Every quarter I will take them out and weigh them to see if they have absorbed any liquid. So far they are still floating!

My floats are Molded which allows a hard skin to form on the float. If you have any more questions just ask!

Our price for the float including a new set of float fingers is $29.95 which is a bargain when you consider V-Twin retails the fingers alone for $24.95 - so for an extra $5 you get the float too!

Here is more details on the material:

Linkert Carburetor Float - Molded in Nitrophyl Foam - With brass Float Fingers

Fits Indian and Harley Davidson Linkert Carburetors.

Finally a solution to your Linkert Carburetor problems! These Nitrophyl foam floats will not leak or sink.

Features:

* Includes new set of Float Fingers
* Will not leak
* Will not Sink
* Made from the same material as modern car floats
* Molded from Nitrophyl
* Molded insert for attachment

More information on Nitrophyl:

NITROPHYL floats, with a closed-cell, homogeneous structure, offer high reliability and resistance to the attack of many fluids, including: hydrocarbon fuels like gasoline, LPG and jet fuel oils and various other fluids, solvents, and chemicals. The material, a nitrile rubber ebonite formulation, can be molded into intricately shaped floats for a variety of liquid level sensing applications.

NITROPHYL floats are well proven in both automotive and industrial applications. They are used in automotive fuel and oil level sensors, carburetors, and in general liquid level sensing applications, such as underground storage tanks, metering devices and automatic relief valves. The marine and small engine industries also use NITROPHYL floats extensively.
Design Versatility and Reliability

* Moldable into complex shapes.
* A closed-cell material, NITROPHYL material is not hollow.
* Unlike hollow floats, they are not subject to sudden failure.
* Easily machined.
* Resistant to most fuels, oils, aqueous solutions, solvents and chemicals.

NITROPHYL floats can be molded into complex shapes and sizes, with or without inserts and can be machined by all conventional methods without impairing flotation properties.

NITROPHYL material is transformed from a solid material to a hard, cellular structure by a two-step molding process. The outside layers, which are in contact with the hot surfaces of the cavity, produce a hard, smooth outer surface. The inside acquires a closed-cell structure. This distinctly different shell or "skin" protects the cell structure and adds to the mechanical strength of the part. NITROPHYL floats are also abrasion-resistant.

Manufactured exclusively by Starklite Cycle

POST MESSAGE: VirtualIndian@yahoogroups.com"

Posted on: 2010/12/12 9:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
More from the VI list. I'm just wondering where and at what cost a hydrometer would be obtained. Answer may come in a few days unless someone here knows.

Here it is:

"One note on the octane rating thing:
Straight 95% ethanol/5%water is rated at 95 octane according to Mike Brown's
Alcohol Fuel Cookbook.
Ethanol is added to lower grades of gasoline to increase its octane rating.
10% ETOH is the only kind of premium coming out of pumps in Central
Illinois, except aircraft or off-road (racing) fuel.

As I understand it, any alcohol is an "oxygenator".

It would be nice to know the variance of specific gravities of fuels around
the Nation and World.

....Cotten"

Posted on: 2010/12/16 20:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assuming you mean gasoline hydrometer. If you google that term several sources come up but not inexpensive with most over $100.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 20:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"End the Ethanol Insanity" NW articel.

Havn't had a chance to read it yet all the way thru but here it is anyway:

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/dec2010/bw20101221_927461.htm

Posted on: 2010/12/28 18:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It would take good precision to use specific gravity or density to determine the %-age of ethanol in gasoline as the densities of the two materials are reasonably close; 0.789 for ethanol and 0.73 to 0.76 commonly accepted as the range for gasoline, though it can vary considerably.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 18:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved