Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 136

West Peterson, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

this is just beautiful!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information

Posted on: 2011/2/27 22:25
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: this is just beautiful!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Looks to be a very well done example. I wish them the very best of luck in getting the asking price as I'm sure there is that much and more invested. This car truly must have been a labor of love!

Posted on: 2011/2/27 22:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Clipper47, this is one of the collector car brokers I suggested you visit on you trip to California.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/2/28 10:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's a fine-looking car and obviously someone has a lot more $ into it than they could ever hope to recover. Having spent so much, it's a shame they didn't get a more authentic upholstery fabric; seems a shame to have a car so nearly perfect in other regards.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 11:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I agree. If you wanted one that nice, it wouldn't make much sense to pay to have one restored when this one is available for at least half of what it would cost to professionally restore. Based on experience of doing my own car, I can imagine that you'd have at least that much just in parts and materials.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 12:21
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
It's an example of how restoration costs have now gotten to the point where it's completely illogical to restore, at least to a high standard, almost any Post-War car that is not an open car, if one wishes to at least be able to recover expenses. A shame, really.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 9:45
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The upside to this is that decent, unrestored cars are beginning (again, as in the 50s) to get more respect at shows and from the national organizations. For example, AACA's HPOF and CCCA's Touring Class. In my view, a well-preserved and maintained original car can be far more interesting than a restored example.

One reason the costs of restoration have risen, other than the inflation of costs of labor and services, is that the standards have risen dramatically, especially at the elite national forums. A well-done premium restoration of the 50s or 60s wouldn't even be an also-ran at Amelia Island, Pebble, etc. today.

I just cringe when I see a car advertised as "fully restored from a near-perfect original". Nuff to bring tears.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 9:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Clipper47, this is one of the collector car brokers I suggested you visit on you trip to California.

This is a very lovely car but I agree the upholstery fabric looks like modern material and incorrect.

John, Thanks for the suggestion. I have the trip pretty much planned thanks to my very organized wife and we are both very much looking forward to seeing some of California.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 10:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
The upside to this is that decent, unrestored cars are beginning (again, as in the 50s) to get more respect at shows and from the national organizations. For example, AACA's HPOF and CCCA's Touring Class. In my view, a well-preserved and maintained original car can be far more interesting than a restored example.

One reason the costs of restoration have risen, other than the inflation of costs of labor and services, is that the standards have risen dramatically, especially at the elite national forums. A well-done premium restoration of the 50s or 60s wouldn't even be an also-ran at Amelia Island, Pebble, etc. today.

I just cringe when I see a car advertised as "fully restored from a near-perfect original". Nuff to bring tears.

I couldn't agree with you more O-D, especially your last paragraph.

The main reason I bought my '55 is that it is such a well kept original needing almost nothing - aside from not running that is. My intent (once I get it running) is to preserve it - and has been since I first laid eyes on it.

My 51 is a different story. It has issues such as rusty floors and an aftermarket paint job. It will be a fun driver - preserved enough so that if someone after me wants to restore it they'll have a solid body (once the floor is patched) to work with.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 12:30
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved