Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
264 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 262

John Sauser, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Anyone familiar with this car?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
On the subject of what is "original". Classic Car Club of America has some of the strictest judging rules in the hobby. While I do not have the ruyles in front of me I have been a member since '64 and ahve watched the rules evolve ad followed the reasoning in the CCCA Bulletin.

Of ocurse if a car came from the factory whatever it had was "original". If the dealer added an item that was a "factory approved accessory", meaning it was sold through the factory parts system, it is considered original. Items such as Woodlites, front bumper with integral road lamps (1929/30?) and other items in the factory accessory brochures are original. Many of these items were dealer installed only.

Original for judging purposes in CCCA parlance also includes period accessories, such a Lalique hood ornaments etc, but we are not addressing such items here. Even if only 6 Caribbeans came from the factory with wire wheels, for judging in club events in my opinion all are considered correct with original or correct reproduction Packard wire wheels as they were available from the dealer.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 7:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
On the subject of what is "original". Classic Car Club of America has some of the strictest judging rules in the hobby. While I do not have the ruyles in front of me I have been a member since '64 and ahve watched the rules evolve ad followed the reasoning in the CCCA Bulletin.

Of ocurse if a car came from the factory whatever it had was "original". If the dealer added an item that was a "factory approved accessory", meaning it was sold through the factory parts system, it is considered original. Items such as Woodlites, front bumper with integral road lamps (1929/30?) and other items in the factory accessory brochures are original. Many of these items were dealer installed only.

Original for judging purposes in CCCA parlance also includes period accessories, such a Lalique hood ornaments etc, but we are not addressing such items here. Even if only 6 Caribbeans came from the factory with wire wheels, for judging in club events in my opinion all are considered correct with original or correct reproduction Packard wire wheels as they were available from the dealer.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 7:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
56 Executive, thanks for clarifying how many Caribbeans came from the factory with wire wheels. I was just going from memory - you supplied facts.
If it is in the accessory catalog and/or listed in the parts manual then it has to be considered "original" equipment and proper for the car. And Fred is correct in his statement.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 8:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
In discussing wire wheels in the past, it was shown that wires were indeed a factory option on all senior cars in 1956. How many got them? Who knows.

Coming back to my original post, with no pictures, it's hard to tell...

My Patrician has wires which came from Coker (as do several others in this area). I don't know anyone driving these cars on original wires....which was part of my cynicism about the original post.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 10:02
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know anyone driving these cars on original wires....

I know of several who are. Some of the repro wires are not a particularly faithful reproduction of the original Motor Wheel product.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
Some of the repro wires are not a particularly faithful reproduction of the original Motor Wheel product.

True. They are probably superior in safety in that they have a few more spokes. I know the reproduction Kelsey Hayes wheels for Thunderbirds are 52 spoke, instead of the original 48 spoke. I doubt people can tell the difference visually, or bother counting the spokes.

How many spokes were originally on the Packard Wire Wheel vs. Reproduction?

Posted on: 2011/5/25 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I purchased my 1955 Caribbean in 1963. She would not buy it until the dealer installed wire wheels.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 11:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have original Motor Wheels on both my 400 (Best Other) and my Caribbean. Both have been rebuilt - the 400 by Vintage Wheel in Fresno and the Caribbean by Dayton Wire Wheel. I believe that Motor Wheel also made Chrysler's wire wheels.
Motor Wheel made all of Packards wheels in the fifties.
Packard wire wheels are 52 spoke.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Fred:

Bill Hirsch bought a Carribean with wire wheels new in 1956.

Ken Fahnestock had one too but I don't know if it had wire wheels or not and everybody who knew the car has passed on. I think he bought his at the factory.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 17:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
There are 9 build sheets missing for the 5699's the ones available show 6 with Chrome Wheels 4 1049 1116 1117 1228 exported 1 1084 sent to Gulf stream motors Fl, 1167 sent to Baker Auto MA. There are 9 build sheets missing for the 5697's those available show 6 with Chrome Wheels 3 1063 1084 1147 exported 1067 sent to Zone warehouse Pensacola Fl 1176 New York Zone warehouse 1182 Ypsilanti Mi

Posted on: 2011/5/25 19:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved