Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Left hand thread tie rod ends?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
My '47 Super Clipper needs a passenger side outer tie rod end. Max Merritt makes no distinction as to thread direction but the Kanter online catalogue mentions right and left hand thread? I haven't been under the car to look but is one of tyhe tie rods left hand thread and if so which side?

Posted on: 2011/7/3 22:31

Re: Left hand thread tie rod ends?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not familiar with the 47 Clipper. But most cars with a 3 piece tie rod are all the same. BOTH sides will have a left AND a tire handed threaded tie rod end.

That is the left tie rod will have BOTH a left and rite hand thread AND the RITE tie rod will have BOTH left and rite hand thread. Otherwise one tie rod end would have to be removed to lengthen or shorten for tow adjustemnt.

It's like having a turn buckle on the left. and a turn buckle on the rite.

Posted on: 2011/7/3 22:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As to whether or not the particular rite outer tie rod end if left or rite hand thread it would be best to look at your particular car. Someone may have changed the tire rod over the years using some other tie rod. Need to look at it to be sure before ordering.

Posted on: 2011/7/3 22:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are two tie rod end part numbers-- a right and a left listed in parts manual--just does not say which side gets which.

Posted on: 2011/7/3 22:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
As I read the parts manual, and following Packard practice, the right (passenger) side is part number 410734. I believe Packard meant for which side of the car the part is designed. Not right or left hand thread - although that may be in play also.

Posted on: 2011/7/3 23:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Thanks for all the info. Kanter does mention right or left hand thread. Best answer is the one which suggests I check my car before ordering.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 7:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
The right or left side refers to the side the grease fitting is on. Studebaker parts price book July 1 1971 subs 410733 to 410734

Posted on: 2011/7/4 7:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi, I know this is old but I have to replace my tie rod on the passenger side also, so here's what I found. To remove this tie rod you have to turn it Counter Clockwise so, I guess that means it's a Righthand thread, and the grease fitting is position on the side of the tie rod pointing to the rear of the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.79 KB)
1003_4f58d507e34bb.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/3/8 10:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One end is left-hand, one is right hand so when you turn the sleeve you lengthen or shorten the effective length for alignment.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 11:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I believe Dave is correct, that each side has a right and a left, but perhaps the question would be, "are both outers the same, and both inners the same????"

Attach file:

jpg  (63.74 KB)
404_4f590266d1006.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2012/3/8 13:59
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved