Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 89

Ozstatman, Mike Chirco, packardbill, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 46 47 48 (49) 50 51 52 ... 72 »

Re: 51Packard's....51 Packard
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That is used for securing the cross over wiring harness for the passenger side fender. There should be also two more across the top of the radiator core.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 0:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The copper washers are for sealing purposes. The bolts (cap screws) thread into the water jacket. Good threads in the block, new bolts, good gasket and surfaces, and sealing on the threads will probably work. You may be able to get by with steel washers, but copper ones are softer and will make a better sealing surface between the bolt head and pump body. I am liking your project. Keep up the good work.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/26 10:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
7-26-11

Thanks for the tips guys. JW, I'm glad you mentioned the proper installation method because I probably wouldn't have put sealer on the bolts.

Went to another hardware store and they also only sold bolts in 1/2" length size increases. I decided to buy the one that was close to the original size, but a little smaller to protect the block from putting in a bolt too long. Well I guess the actual length is pretty important because even though my bolts were slightly smaller, there are a couple of holes where only a few threads would go into the block. I only used one of the 1-1/2" bolts I bought and the longer one. Now I have to decide if it is better to clean up and reuse the original bolts or buy longer ones and cut them. I did find the correct copper gaskets and used thread sealer (that stuff stinks!). I also ran a tap through the block holes before putting the pump in.

The new bolts and split washers I bought for the thermostat housing were not the right size, but long enough to use so I got that installed.

I also scanned and uploaded the water pump gaskets for others to download and use if they want to make their own.

I forgot I had painted my motor mount black when later I found out it should be engine color so I removed the distributor, coil and spark plug wires. Then I used aluminum foil to mask off the area and repaint it.

Attach file:

jpg  (109.00 KB)
508_4e2f797c46254.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/7/26 21:35
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Your engine is looking very nice. Pleased to hear you solved your water pump installation.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/26 22:25
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks JW, you were a big help.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 18:38
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
8-3-11

Very little garage time today. I stopped at the store and bought a pre-flared line for the vacuum line from the fuel pump to the wiper motor. On my car, there is a rubber hose at the bend from the fuel pump line where it goes up the firewall. Is this correct or should the line be solid steel? I know the rubber hose on it right now is not original and the steel line does not have a barb at the end to accept a rubber hose so I do not know which way it should go.

I also bought some bolts and cut them to the same size as the other water pump bolts are. Now I have all new bolts with copper washers holding it on the motor.

I can't believe how disorganized I am. I thought I bagged a lot of my bolts, but I cannot find the ones for the fan or others. I guess a couple more trips to the hardware store are in my future. That might be a good thing because I like the look of the new bolts on the engine and I have been having problems with the paint scratching and starting to rust when I reuse old bolts. My sockets or wrenches always seem to scratch the paint off, even if I prime them first.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.60 KB)
508_4e39de7641ccb.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (85.36 KB)
508_4e39dedfcf987.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/8/3 18:51
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Pleased to have been of help with the water pump. I believe there is a steel line from the vacuum pump/fuel pump to the rubber line that connects to the steel line on the firewall. There may be a rubber line from the fitting on the vacuum pump to the steel line that runs beside the engine. I don't have a manual to verify this. I believe the service and parts manuals are here for downloading. Others who are more familiar with these years can offer better advice.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/3 22:03
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Pump > short rubber hose > metal line along the length of the block > short rubber hose > metal line up the firewall > rubber line > wiper motor.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 0:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks BigKev,

Mine is missing the short rubber hose from the pump to the line along the block. Mine was just threaded directly into the pump.

Anyone have pics of the setup so I know how long the rubber hoses should be? Pics of the fittings going to the rubber hose would help too.

I tried the parts book but I didn't see anything showing the lines.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 14:49
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are different style pumps -- some with hard fittings and others with hoses. Here is one picture from the 51 training manual showing some vacuum routing and the hard connection. Don't know which side your in and out is but maybe you can get an idea of the height. Kev might have a better picture of the long tube.

The tubing I remember has no fittings. Just 1/4" steel straight back to the end of block and 1/4" or probably slightly smaller 7/32 ID rubber vacuum hose which just slips on a few inches. The one at engine rear doesn't need to be very long. Just enough to allow the engine to rock a bit and make the turn to the other piece of tubing. Try and get vacuum hose if you can. The walls are thick & stiff so it won't collapse, but not reinforced so slips on easier & usually a bit cheaper than fuel hose.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.65 KB)
209_4e3afc2915726.jpg 970X1065 px

Posted on: 2011/8/4 15:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 46 47 48 (49) 50 51 52 ... 72 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved