Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

Diablo, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Defroster Air Flow
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Well, I was able to adjust the diverter valve flap for the heater on my 1954 Packard Clipper Super so that it shuts pretty tightly and I get good heat to the floor vents. However, when I position the dash control lever to supply air to the windshield defroster vents, I get an almost undetectable, tiny amount of air from the defroster vents onto the windshield. When I look under the dash while moving the heater/defroster dash control lever, the cable seems to be moving the heat/defrost control on top of the heater box under the dash. Is the low flow to the defroster vents normal or should I be looking for a major blast of air onto the windshield. If so, appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for all so far.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 18:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Defroster Air Flow
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
You won't get the major air blast that a new car has but certainly more than you are describing. Without seeing your car my guess is the cable needs to be adjusted.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 18:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
Is the fabric duct still in one piece? On mine, I touched it and it turned to dust.

I ordered a section from McMaster.com. Look up ducting, fabric, flexable, black and the cheaper of those results.

Order history is down right now, but when it come back up, I'll post part numbers for that and the sections I used under the hood.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 18:45
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does any air come out the heater when in defrost mode? If so, adjustment or possibly rubber again. I don't recall if that valve has a rubber lip but it might. If the adjustment, flapper and duct are OK then check the spacing of the trim strip over the slots. As I recall, on some dashes the standoff spacers could move and it could screw down and get very close to windshield blocking flow.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I bet the fiberboard heater distribution box that feeds the defroster vents has come apart. Mine was in sad shape, and I ended up fixing by coating it in fiberglass resin, and using some fiber glass tape to repair the cracks.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 19:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Those are all great suggestions...I will check it all out accordingly. Thanks again to all!

Posted on: 2011/10/15 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
For the defroster: 2 feet of 5222K23 with 5362K24 clamps

For the underhood ducts : 3 feet of 5222K25

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/211/=eikb4l

Posted on: 2011/10/16 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
blackbeerd...man have I been searching for those ducts at a reasonable price! Thank You!

Posted on: 2011/10/17 0:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Does that ducting fit between the heater air flow control and the cardboard distribution box? My old ducting was in pieces and is currently missing.

Posted on: 2011/10/17 12:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
McMaster has everything. :)

Yes, the three inch fits perfect under the dash and the clamps snug it up nicely. I think I ended up cutting it to 18 inches. When you measure, measure the outside of the bend. Those hoses will compress up to 50% of their length for the inside bend.

Posted on: 2011/10/17 19:55
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved