Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

39SixSedanMan, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

NO ethanol gasoline
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There has been some recommendations of using the alcohol free gasoline that is "available" at a few gas stations. (NOTE use of quotation marks).

My experience with this is that such gas stations do not always keep the no-ethanol gas in stock at all times. In stock seems to be sporatic.

The other problem is trying to find such a gas station in areas that i am less than familiar with than my own home town. Driving atound in a not so local area looking for a gas station with no alcohol gas is very inconvenient as well futile if the pump has "sold-out" or "not in service" sign on it.

Usually about $6/gallon here in the keg county area.

It is also the lower octane.

What about other regions of the US???? Readily available and easy to find and always in stock in your area up to a 100 mile radius of home???

Posted on: 2011/11/27 8:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: NO ethanol gasoline
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unavailable in the NY/NJ metropolitan area. I've read that it's availability is dependent on an area or region meeting or not meeting it's Clean Air Act requirements, maybe so, maybe not. But in any case the 10% EtOH gasoline hasn't caused any problems here for me once I rebuilt the fuel pump with compatible materials some years ago.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 9:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Besides my Packards I also ride several vintage motorcycles and the issue of NO ethanol fuel is a big issue. One of my motorcycles has 4 carbs and the other has 6 carbs and ethanol is playing havoc with them.

On one vintage motorcycle website they had a link to a recent American Motorcycle Association (AMA) press release calling for an INDEPENDENT and more comprehensive investigation regarding the problems of ethanol in fuel. Representative Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) has intorduced a bill to that effect and the AMA is supporting his efforts. See the PR item here:http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=46444

What was enlightening to me is that ethanol laced fuels are only compatible in cars and light duty trucks built in 2001 or later.

NO cars built before 2001 are compatible with E15 fuel. NON-compatible engines include: all motorcycles, all ATV/offroad vehicles and marine engines.

If you think you were having problems with E10, then just wait for the new "government mandated" E15 to come to a fuel station near you.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 11:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you think you were having problems with E10, then just wait for the new "government mandated" E15 to come to a fuel station near you.

With our air resources board, we're already under the E15 (believe we also call it E85) mandate out here and more stations are coming on line monthly. Only thing that had held it back slightly was supply and cost of importing the ethanol from midwest--but not to worry, they are building ethanol plants here at a rapid pace again.

Several of the ethanol plants operating early on ran into financial difficulties when there was a lull and not as much demand. Elected officials actually read some negative reports on the cars that couldn't handle it and the economy didn't help. The lobbyists went to work and finally got enough paid politicians back on their payroll for the mandate to push forward again so all is normal now. By some miracle those non compatible cars are expected to be replaced sooner rather than later so no need to use caution.

Biodiesel is also getting a big push at a considerably increased cost for those that use it.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 12:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
...What about other regions of the US???? Readily available and easy to find and always in stock in your area up to a 100 mile radius of home???

Region: Kansas City (Riverside), MO
Readily available: Yes
Always in Stock w/in 100 miles: So far, Yes

The gas station I use (Hy-Vee in Gladstone, MO) I found here.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"NO cars built before 2001 are compatible with E15 fuel. NON-compatible engines include: all motorcycles, all ATV/offroad vehicles and marine engines."

I'm having trouble with the E10 in my showroom original 89 Caprice with TBI/in tank fuel pump. Vapour lock symptoms just started last year.

The NO-ethanol gas available here in middle Tennessee is mostly used in Ag equipment and string trimmers, leaf bloweres,chain saw type two stroke powered equipment.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 13:07
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
My local BP station has alcohol-free super lead free. Up until last summer, all their gas was alcohol free.

My '54 Super Clipper hates E10. It just runs terrible. My wife's '69 Corvair also runs terrible on E10.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 20:14
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Today I received my copy of the Hagerty magazine..."Fuel For The Motoring Lifesyle." They support the Historic Vehicle Association and lobby AGAINST ethanol contaminated fuel.

Below is a scan of the latest statistics on ethanol. Just take a look the amount of zeros - we're taking Billions here.

$23 Billion of taxpayer dollars spent on ethanol subsidies since 2005.

$12 Million spent by lobbyists for more ethanol subsidies in the first 3 months of this year alone.

$168 Billion more taxpayer dollars needs to be spent to meet federal government ethanol production mandates.

And remember that even Al Gore now says, "It is not a good policy to have these massive subsidies for first-generation ethanol."

In all deference to former Vice President Gore, Well...duh.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.23 KB)
436_4edec83eb38ce.jpg 1280X834 px

Posted on: 2011/12/6 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As an exception to having any vapour lock problems whatsoever with ethanol gas:

(2) 88 Ford rangers 2.0 with CARB and engine mounted mechanical pump NO probems. Both do alot of idleing in very hot weather. Carb mounted on opposite side of engine from exhaust.

51 To20 Ferguson tractor gravity feed up draught UNDER exhaust manifold no problems.

48 and 56 model motorcycles. Side draught gravity feed no problems.

About 20 various small engine powered equipment, 2 stroke and 4 stroke up to 12 hp. No problems.

2001 Dodge ram v6 with efi. No problems.

The only cars i do have problem with is 56 Packard and low mileage show room original 89 caprice with 305 V8 and TBI.

EDIT: dec 7 3 PM.
The above post is with respect to VAPOUR LOCK only. The ethanol has caused OTHER problems not related to vapour lock.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 22:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
$12 Million spent by lobbyists for more ethanol subsidies in the first 3 months of this year alone.

Until a way or will is found to eliminate this figure and put substantial limitations on those that offer and accept, there will be no slowing in the upward spiral of the other figures.

As there seems to be no chance of that little change happening anytime soon, ethanol (or another miracle substitute a well heeled corporation has an interest in) is here to stay. California is betting the future on ethanol or a similar solution so those of you who can, enjoy choice while it lasts.

One can only hope retrofits can be made on the older cars or will available for the newer to take care of any issues in those cars having them.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 22:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved