Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1954 Pacific steering support arm problem
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Hamilton
See User information
Hello fellow Packard owners, I have the front support arm and steering knuckle off of my 1954 Pacific, trying to replace worn bushings in the support arm.
The problem I need help with is how to remove the old bushings and the support bracket. My Packard service manual states that bushings are self tapping and to remove them is just to unscrew them. Apparently they have never been replaced and unscrewing them is not meant to be. Has any one had this same problem and found a solution. One last request for help, is there aftermarket bushing set available for this unit. Many Thanks, Carl

Posted on: 2012/1/19 17:00
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Pacific steering support arm problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are you referring to the rubber/steel highlighted bushings? If so, 5431 chassis on the Pacific should use the senior press in type #443244 instead of early threaded as shown in some pictures in manual and is same bushing and procedure as used on 55-6 seniors. Those are crossed to modern aftermarket. If a different bushing, please advise.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.35 KB)
209_4f18994bb065e.jpg 436X797 px

jpg  (15.08 KB)
209_4f1899593f00e.jpg 947X136 px

Posted on: 2012/1/19 17:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH has outlined the upper inner bushings; I took (correctly or not) your query to relate to the upper outer bushings. Best to say whether you're speaking of upper inners or upper outers to avoid confusion.

Though it was too many years ago to remember the details, I replaced the upper outer control arm bushing and pins on my 54 Patrician. The large bushing is the self-tapping type. It takes some real muscle and a large wrench, but other than that effort, a very straight-forward job.

The photo may or may not be the correct upper outer control arm pin & bushing for your application, but note the "self-threading" bushing on the right end, and the eccentric in the center for alignment purposes. Rubber sleeves are grease retainers. After installation, the inner shaft is rotated via an Allen wrench behind one of the grease fittings to rotate the eccentric to give proper alignment (4 degrees of movement, in-and-out, fore-and-aft); then the support arm is tightened to hold the eccentric in position.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.12 KB)
177_4f18a88eea22c.jpg 1280X657 px

Posted on: 2012/1/19 18:17
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Hamilton
See User information
Reply to HH
Yes you have depicted the exact bushings I'm trying to replace. My chassis number is 5477 and I'm trying to replace both inner and outer bushing. My Packard parts manual list the two numbers as 419673 and 419678. Thanks, Carl

Posted on: 2012/1/20 9:00
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Hamilton
See User information
Reply to Owen_Dyneto
Thanks for your help, your photo shows the pivot pin and it's bushings. I do have them removed without a problem, its the support arm and support bracket inner and outer bushings I'm struggling with. My Studebaker has a similar support arm but the difference is Studebaker used a bolt that unscrews from the support bracket on both ends and when it is removed the bracket will easily come loose from the arm, however Packard used a threaded stud on both ends of the bracket and they use self locking nuts to hold the assembly together.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm guessing the procedure is the same as 56.

On my 56 the bracket (shaft thru bushings) should be marked front and rear. If it is reversed then mite run out of camber adjustment.

On my 56 th erubber in the bushings was so rotten i was able to dig or drill the rubber out and then split the metal sleeves of the bushing for removal. IIRC split the flange of the metal sleeve and then was able to cruch the bushing with a big pair of channel locks while twisting it out of the control arm.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 9:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2012/1/20 9:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Carl Hamilton wrote:
Reply to HH
Yes you have depicted the exact bushings I'm trying to replace. My chassis number is 5477 and I'm trying to replace both inner and outer bushing. My Packard parts manual list the two numbers as 419673 and 419678. Thanks, Carl

The ones you mention are used on the earlier and the 54 junior & commercial chassis. The 5477 Pacific body is on the 5431 chassis so you need #443244. Those are the same as 55-6 TL cars or seniors.

Better quality pictures maybe in the suspension section of V8 service manualhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect16_Suspension_Steering.pdf. As PV8 mentions, removal of old of that type is either pressing, cutting, tearing or whatever--just don't damage the threaded ends or support. Once one bushing is out, the inner arm will slide thru and with some manipulation be removed. If removing, take note of orientation. The holes are offset and if installed wrong can cause alignment problems later.

New can be pressed back in over the arm shaft and aftermarket bushings as mentioned above are available from most parts stores. Several have bought them from RockAuto.com at less cost than Napa or others.

When doing mine, I made a tool to duplicate the spreader. Used pieces of L shaped steel back to back with bolts thru middle to keep distance at appropriate place. Needs to be strong to keep from collapsing arm or losing the proper spread when pressing.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.91 KB)
209_4f1984902faaf.jpg 440X320 px

jpg  (30.45 KB)
209_4f1984990024d.jpg 1056X147 px

Posted on: 2012/1/20 10:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Hamilton
See User information
Thanks again HH (Howard)
Especially for correcting me on the part number, and the repair info is just what I needed to proceed. I will have a slight delay in proceeding, I go today to arrange for a hip replacement, I am thankful for modern science's ability to get me back walking without pain.
One last request, I was unclear as what aftermarket part numbers to seek at Rock Auto for the bushings I'm wanting to replace. I promise this is the last help I will ask for on this subject.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 12:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Moog K320 or equivalent. I believe this was also used by Lincoln 1952-56 or so and perhaps later. I've jotted down "TRW12309" in my notes but can't confirm it's a correct replacement number.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 12:39
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved