Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 93

Alvin14, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Interesting Approach to Air Conditioning
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I saw this car on eBay last night while browsing for another Packard that I don't have room for. I don't know how effective it is, but I was impressed with the concept and lack of 'stuff' in the passenger compartment.

Link.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 11:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Interesting Approach to Air Conditioning
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm guessing that is a FRESH air AC unit and not a recirc. Plumbed the air intake to evap thru the stock fresh air heater plenum. ok for very dry climates. Hi humidity climates probably not.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 12:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That AC is an unusual idea and the mechanic pulled it off rather well although I would prefer an adjustable or directional air flow. Wonder how much is left of the radio since the bottom half must be missing. Maybe a solid state conversion with just the button section--although it sounds as if it is not working since he said speakers can be added if a new owner wanted to. Wish they had shown how he did the compressor since the bracket and pulley setup is what most contemplating adding AC want to see on those cars.

I'm glad he said the rest of the car was "mostly" original with an alternator and the Chevy wiper motor in plain view.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 12:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
I'm guessing that is a FRESH air AC unit and not a recirc. Plumbed the air intake to evap thru the stock fresh air heater plenum. ok for very dry climates. Hi humidity climates probably not.

Good point. That setup would only allow a 'one-pass' cooling effect of the air.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I would love to have this car!

Posted on: 2012/3/7 15:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This car was at the PI Membership Meet in January. Beautiful car and interesting color combo. Also it has the ever elusive 51-54 external sun visor.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 18:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
That is an interesting concept and like HH, I would have liked to have seen a photo of the compressor/pulley set-up. The car is a beauty and with 4 days left on the auction, it will be interesting to see what it goes for...if it goes.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 21:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved