Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

54 Packard 327. 2 barrel carb wgd-2102s. rebuild
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Hey guys. I got fire and I have fuel going into the carb, but only runs if I mist gas into the carburetor. Gas leaks from all the gaskets, pretty dangerous. So time to rebuild the original carb for its first time ever. I took the top part off the float bowl and it was pretty gross, the screen filter was clogged up sever. Two new inline filters, a new pump and running from fresh gas in a gas can, so it has to be the carburetor, right? Yes, I made sure all connections were tight. My question is, how hard is it to rebuild this carburetor with a new kit? Any words of wisdom? I have rebuilt others before with great results.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 16:00
 Top  Print 

Re: 54 Packard 327. 2 barrel carb wgd-2102s. rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
If you have rebuilt others before then this should be easy. I use Daytona for the kit which is very complete and high quality.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 21:10
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Thank you sir.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 21:13
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Well, I got a carburetor kit from Daytona. I had the carb partially disassembled and soaking in cleaner. Now the problem is...the needle valve assembly for the float broke off flush to the white metal of the housing. I did not force it, it turned fine for almost a turn and just snapped off. Where it's located, in the top and between the float supports, I can't get to it with anything to try to remove it. So my carburetor is now junk, isn't it? Should I try to find another one to rebuild? Is this one now deemed an unacceptable core? What do I do now? How can I fix it, or can I? This car has been a night mare to work on.

Posted on: 2015/10/31 9:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm sure there are ways to get it out, a picture showing just what's left of it and how it's situated would help. Perhaps carefully drilling it a bit larger and using an easy-out would work (don't snap the easy-out off!). Drilling and collapsing the walls inward is also possible but exercise extreme caution not to damage the threads. Another possibility would be to use a Dremel and cut two slots 180? apart and use a wide-blade screwdriver. In any case, be patient!

As long as the casting is not damaged I would think it's still an acceptable core for exchange.

When we get frustrated with our projects, the thought that comes to my mind is that "we chose the hobby, it didn't choose us".

Posted on: 2015/10/31 9:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
"We chose the hobby"
Words of wisdom regardless of your endeavor.
That phrase will stick with me.
Thank you Mr. Czirr

Posted on: 2015/10/31 12:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I had Richard send me the pictures of his carb to post here for him.
John

Attach file:

jpg  (103.10 KB)
80331_56352656d5eea.jpg 1280X768 px

jpg  (105.19 KB)
80331_5635267717d54.jpg 1280X768 px

Posted on: 2015/10/31 15:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Now seeing what you have to work with, I'd use a hacksaw blade or similar and cut a slot thru the middle and use a broad screwdriver to remove it.

Posted on: 2015/10/31 22:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Be hard to get a hacksaw blade down in there to cut it, wouldn't it? Looks like it sits down in a "well".

John

Posted on: 2015/11/1 8:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
My first try would be a small E-Z Out. The broken piece is brass. After soaking it with PB Blaster gently use the E-Z Out. Good Luck

Posted on: 2015/11/1 8:48
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved