Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Modern frame for 23 series?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'm thinking of reviving my modified P project - '49 Deluxe Club 2 dr sedan(aka fastback). I've got too much invested, to sell as is.
When I left off, I was searching for a frame to replace the factory x-frame. All kinds of routing issuus, suspension not suited, it's riveted, and don't want to cut up it's original. I'll keep with the motor. I was trying to do this so it could be reversed to stock.
It's 120" WB which is the same as the S-10 P/U. Those aren't known for their suspension, so would have to modify. I guess I could opt for full custom, $$$. I was going that way at the time because I was looking for a modern V-12, and the geometry issues. Never found that as a viable route, mostly for availability and the programming, so I'll probably
go with more traditional power. I have a good NASCAR engine builder who did my Caddy, which kinda took the wind out the the P project.
Anyone done this or know of something in that WB?

Posted on: 2020/12/27 9:52
 Top  Print 

Re: Modern frame for 23 series?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
How about a new Morrison chassis which apparently can be made in custom sizes? There are other similar chassis around too.

Posted on: 2020/12/27 13:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
IIRC, several years ago, a fellow came here and offered rolling chassis 22nd or 23rd Series - after he took the body and successfully dropped it on to Dodge Dakota truck chassis.

I believe that member PackardV8 acquired the rolling Packard chassis.

I don't recall much else, but you might find additional details by doing a forum search, here, on "Dakota".

Posted on: 2020/12/28 9:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Morrison, et al are on my radar. Probably $10-15K by comparison but would include suspension & driven unit.
Didn't find the Dodge Dakota post but makes sense, that's about the same as a S-10 WB. Have to sort out my plans going forward.
TKs all.

Posted on: 2020/12/31 9:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
The 1977-1996 Cadillacs Fleetwood Broughams have a 121" wb and the Panther-platform Lincoln Town Car 117", if either are worth considering. Mercedes-Benz and BMW both fielded V-12's in recent decades, perhaps that's an option as well.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/12/31 10:26
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I had to use the Advanced Search and make sure the Forum box was checked, but the results were slow in coming. The member's username was " A Man Who Owns One!", but he did not chronicle the process.

I only found this one post...

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=57797#forumpost57797

...where he mentioned using a Dakota chassis, but perhaps not in the way you (or I) were thinking.

Posted on: 2020/12/31 20:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
'06 Dodge Dakota, I'll check it out.
Not sure his is the best way to go, ie, "weld" body to frame? A bit of a rough rider. Like the guy that put a Cad body on a 4x4. WHY?

I've done considerable investigation on this over the past 6 years. Just getting back to it.
I investigated BMW and MB AMG V-12s,as well as Bentley, Lambo, Ferrari, and the $30K+ racing ones from Falconer. Most of the internet ones that were available came from floods, so was a buyer beware issue. Plus the used ones are usually high mileage from breakers or some block/part damage from collision. Also at the mercy of the market for availability. I still search out of frustration and pretty much gave up in favor of a more conventional V-8. I almost bought a local used MB but gave up when I got into the computer issues and what to do with an expensive car w/o engine.
I found one Beemer and the Beemer racing place wanted $10K up front to "go through it and modify the computer" for non-beemer use and plus parts.
AMG is more secretive. The computer code manuals are in German and they won't allow/sanction modifications. They have a whole host of suspension, trans, and other sensor inputs that are on the MB chassis, that won't allow the motor to run, if not connected. You'd almost have to buy a whole car and convert yourself, which I found not cost effective(above) and if you invest and can't get it to go, it's a disaster. Thanks for info.

PS; Just checked '96 Dakota 131" WB, so would have to shorten. His car must be a larger animal.

Posted on: 2021/1/5 9:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
If you study the pix he posted, it looks like he bobbed the hell out of the rear fenders:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=56557#forumpost56557

WARNING: Subsequent conversation in that thread gets a bit tense.

Yeah, there was a rash of old cars being dropped onto 4WD truck chassis around here, several years ago. To each their own.

My late father used to run the H-D truck department of a Chevy dealer, where they would often take a cab and chassis unit and lengthen or shorten the wheelbase by cutting, inserting a section of steel channel as a backing plate or to lengthen, then drill and bolt it all together for whatever purpose required.

The driveshafts were sent out for lengthening/shortening and re-balancing. Decades later, I used the same source to re-tube and repair shafts damaged in a collision, but NLA in OE or aftermarket.

Dunno if any of the modern, body-on-frame chassis lend themselves to this approach. If not, then you might need to go the route of a custom/hot-rod frame and transplant the powerteam and requisite electronics of your choice.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2021/1/5 10:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Jim
If you are wanting to use a late model v12 I would suggest standalone engine management like megasquirt and ditch the OEM computers.

John

Posted on: 2021/1/18 10:02
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
That's a new one on me. I'd have to hire someone to program that too. When I go talk to my motor guy, I'll see what he says about a 12 but gotta find a frame first or no hotrod project, back to stock, I'll go.
New lead;Met my new back yard neighbor today and he's a NHRA drag racey car guy. Has a 1000 Hp Nova and knows a frame builder.
One local vendor turned me down already. Morrison is out there but on opposite coast, and $18+K and cross country shipping. They sell kits but I think if I weld it, it'll take longer than I want to finish this project. The old clock on the wall is speeding up. if the covid doesn't get me first...
My new welder arrived so waiting on me now to get sparking. Steady as she goes.

Posted on: 2021/1/18 20:08
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved