Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

Packard Newbie, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

(1) 2 3 »

Sema
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
The U.S. House of Representatives introduced House Resolution 491 (H. Res. 491) at the request of the SEMA Action Network (SAN) recognizing July 9, 2021 as “Collector Car Appreciation Day (CCAD).” The date marks the 12th commemoration of what has become an annual event to celebrate and raise awareness of the vital role automotive restoration and collection plays in American society.

The resolution was introduced by the House co-chairs of the SEMA-supported Congressional Automotive Performance and Motorsports Caucus, Rep. Bill Posey (R-FL) and Rep. Sanford Bishop (D-GA). These Congressional leaders are strong advocates for the automotive hobby in Washington, D.C. The Caucus is an informal, non-partisan member organization that pays tribute to America’s ever-growing love affair with the car and motorsports.

Posted on: 2021/6/25 20:12
Riki

Re: Sema
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Maybe a more appropriate name would be National Crate Motored Death Trap Day.

The notion of a group of aftermarket junk dealers pushing for a resolution that benefits themselves is pure pork.

Posted on: 2021/6/26 6:36
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe they felt now was their best or even only chance before the start of the last hurrah.

With all the recent announcements by car mfgs that their fuel powered engines will be phased out by such and such a year they see the handwriting on the wall. After all, there is only so much you can do in trying to replace, repackage or speed up a relatively small electric motor carrying around a ton of batteries all of which is squeezed into a box that is increasingly a one piece unit made of some plastic material or thin stamped aluminum.

Posted on: 2021/6/26 9:26
Howard

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Maybe it's not the best organization to do this... maybe the motivation is flawed. However, IMHO it's better than "National Collector Car Crushing Day." It's somewhat refreshing to see a Democrat from my state co-sponsor the bill, perhaps there is some hope there are centrists still out there.

Posted on: 2021/6/26 20:09
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, I have 55 vehicles on Historic road Registration from 1907 to 1980 and have only got one ass. Any organisation/initiative which will ensure that I have Gas for the next 28 years ( when I hit 100) is my friend. They are still selling petrol (gas) vehicles in OZ so I am safe for at least 15 years or so. The value of our "artifacts" is academic as you will run out of life before you run out of money.
Stay cool, covid safe and connected. Enjoy your summer as we are having a very cold winter in OZ. Peter T

Attach file:

jpg  1927 Packard & Trailer.JPG (68.61 KB)
154_60d8293b4abfc.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2021/6/27 2:31
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

Posted on: 2021/7/10 0:58
Riki

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I fail to see how anything negative can be gleaned from setting aside a day in the year to 'raise awareness and appreciation of collector cars and antique automobile restoration'.
There are many 'days' and 'events' out there celebrating the inane and insignificant, even ridiculous, that to see our hobby get it's 'day' should only be seen as a good thing. I fully realize that fossil fuels must come to their eventual end, but electric cars are not the answer (at least not right now) as almost 70% of the electricity generated in the US (and somewhat less in Canada) comes from coal and IMO a Tesla S model with it's ridiculous horsepower in the range of 650, is probably leaving a dirtier footprint behind than my 6 cyl Packard! And with the billions of gas driven cars out there, gas is going to have to be available for a very long time. So, happy 'Collector Car Appreciation Day to all!! Chris.

Posted on: 2021/7/10 19:34
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Newbie, that's a little self defeatist, that fossil fuels will eventually come to an end. The globalists are missing the importance of thermodynamics in their push for electric everything. It could actually cause much more energy to be released into the environment.
Think about this: The news reporter was covering the "heat" wave (misnomer) and said that all these affected people will need A/C due to climate change and we'll have to increase capacity of the grid. A/C causes the energy inside to be released outside and it has to go at a higher temperture to flow out, plus the energy to move it. So it in effect they'd be raising the outside temperature even more to be "cool" inside. When you multiply that by billions you see where the problem lies, not in CO2 but energy release, consumption, and efficiency not to mention waste. The climate is doing exactly what it's supposed to, the number of and energy consumption by people is what changed.

Posted on: 2021/7/11 7:57

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The notion of going with an all-electric fleet makes me laugh. Any of the mainstream automakers that puts all their chips on electric vehicles is gonna fall flat on their face.

Just take a look at what's been going on with Lordstown Motors and their electric truck - the Endurance. Never mind the corporate shell game, the truck couldn't even complete a 250-mile Baja run. I suspect that GM has been waiting patiently in the wings to swoop in and pick up the pieces to have their first electric pickup on the cheap.

Meanwhile, the driving range of electric vehicles is a joke. A nearby municipality recently purchased an electric excavator (a backhoe on crawler tracks) It runs 2 hours on a single charge. That's gonna do wonders for productivity! Now, it did come with a generator for recharging, but that takes 8 hours to do so and runs on DIESEL - LOL! Admittedly, that's not a passenger vehicle, but the problem is the same. Also, keep in mind that power output of a battery falls of as ambient temperatures drop; conversely, charging rates are also affected.

Then, consider all the rolling blackouts being reported during heat waves. Yet, even if the infrastructure can be upgraded to support demand, how are they gonna generate all that additional electricity without burning even more fossil fuels? Environmentalists don't seem to like hydroelectric or geothermal. After Chernobyl and Fukushima, I don't want anything to do with nuclear power. All that's before giving pause to consider environmental thermodybamics.

Electric is fine for light-duty, occassional use - like yard equipment and power tools. However, electric cars had their day in the sun a century ago, and were ultimately pushed out of the market for similar reasons.

Our country seems to be overpopulated with carpetbaggers and idiots.

Posted on: 2021/7/11 9:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Here's who's changing the climate.

Same as Nixon's gas fraud. Don't have 25 cents a gallon gas

But plenty of 5.00 and up gas..

Attach file:

jpg  20210602_133406.jpg (214.39 KB)
4498_60eb1677c9c29.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/7/11 11:07
Riki

(1) 2 3 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved