Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

State of the PackardInfo Union
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So, since we are rapidly coming up on the 18th Anniversary of the website (the first official post was on 4/18/2006), I figured it was a good time to give a little State of the PackardInfo Union.

The website is still doing good and has been very stable for a while time now. Which is great, as that is one less worry I have had to deal with.

Sorry if I have been MIA for a bit.

Most of you know that I had COVID right after XMAS which wasn't that bad, thankfully.

But about 18 months I was diagnosed with Lymphoma. I only discovered this when I lost about 75 lbs and when I did I found these large lumps under my armpits. DR. thought they may have been just benign fatty tumors, but they turned out to be very enlarged lymph nodes. A blood test showed no evidence of this cancer. Only a biopsy of the nodes actually found it.

It is a type of Lympohmia called SLL. Basically, a simplified explanation is that all these abnormal white blood cells are accumulated in my Lymph nodes causing them to grow. You have lymph nodes all over your body, they are like little in-line filters for the bloodstream.

So I have had multiple body scans over the last 18 months watching the progression and everything, while enlarged, but pretty stable. Still normal levels in blood work, nodes appeared stabled between scanning intervals. But between Sept 2021 and January 2022 scans, stuff changed. Lymph nodes started to grow again, and now blood work was heading the wrong way.

The ones under my arms were like baseball size and the ones in my neck were starting to become uncomfortable. Like I was always wearing a tight-fitting turtleneck.

Also, the scan showed one in my abdomen/pelvis area was about 4" in diameter. So the decision was to start treatment. Lots of breakthroughs in this type of cancer. While they can't really cure it, but they can suppress the effects in some patients to the point where it doesn't cause any issues. So I've started medication that is causing all the lymph nodes to expel all those bad cells, and shrink them and it's been pretty dramatic in how quickly it worked so far with minimal side effects.

This type of blood cancer is incurable at the moment, so I'll be on this medication for the rest of my life. Usually, folks get diagnosed with this in their 70s, not 40s. So I'm outside the envelope on this. But given how well I have reacted to the medication, I should be about for at least 20+ years.

Anyway being cold and winter here in Chicagoland, I haven't worked on the Clipper that much. I've had her out for a few runs on warm days. But now spring has started to kick in, I'm sure I'll have her out more. Which then makes me more active on here in turn.

Ross and I had talked at Hershey about me driving the Clipper to his shop this spring and rebuilding the transmission and videotaping the entire thing for YouTube. But given that the medication I've started in the short term suppresses my immune system, and makes me more susceptible to getting COVID again, even after having my 4th shot, I've been trying to stay close to home. So that may get pushed into next year if Ross is still willing.

I've been doing more woodworking and home projects as a distraction and started posting some of that to YouTube. I redid our entire laundry room including building cabinets from scratch. So that has been good therapy for me mentally. I'll probably dovetail some of the Packard projects into that channel as well now that things are warming up a bit.

If anyone is interested in seeing that channel I'll post the link for it.

Posted on: 2022/3/24 9:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: State of the PackardInfo Union
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
So sorry to hear about your health. You and the website are treasured more than you know and your fan base is much vaster than you realize.
I cannot imagine how I could be of help to you but if something comes up there you need some assistance with something I can help with by all means do not hesitate to contact me.
Robert

Posted on: 2022/3/24 10:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Kev,
I am sorry to hear about your health. I hope your treatments will do what is expected and more.

I would like to see what you have been doing, I know I have been impressed with your pas projects. They motivate me, I just have to put it into action.

Posted on: 2022/3/24 12:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
The state of the union is good from what you say, you have your health under control/care. Something to be thankful for. Trying times for all. Hope you and many of the other things going on in the world get back to stable soon.
It's just weird reading this that things started to go worse with/after covid.
I don't like conspiracy theorists, but cause and effect. That's all related to the immune system as is the SLL. Fighting the viral infection may have caused something to accelerate? Producing more white cells would happen normally from infection. Something to talk over with your MDs. We just don't know enough about immune function.
Take care.
ps: I wish some of the other brand sites I use would be run this well.

Posted on: 2022/3/24 15:46
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks for the words of support everyone. It is appreciated.

For those interested in my Woodworking channel, here is the link:https://youtube.com/c/TheSuburbanGarageWorkshop

Posted on: 2022/3/24 16:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Sorry to hear about your health setback. Your positive attitude will go along way to keep things stable. You do so much for others by maintaining this site, that hopefully our good vibes directed at you will help you along. You and your work is much appreciated.

Posted on: 2022/3/24 18:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Big Kev,
Kind and sincere wishes for the most optimal outcome with your treatments.
Health is so very important and so easy to take for granted until you don't have it. Then it becomes one's entire world.
Those of us out here in Packardom owe you a lot for what you do to keep P.I. up and running. As another poster said, 'not sure what I could do', but if anything at all, I echo the willingness to help in any way possible. Chris.

Posted on: 2022/3/24 22:31
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Very sorry to hear about your health challenge, I certainly hope that the treatment methods continue to agree with you and show extended effectiveness, and let's all hope for breakthroughs in research and new kinds of treatments.

Posted on: 2022/3/24 23:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Kev, sorry to read of your health battle, like many, I visit you here each morning to start my day.

Posted on: 2022/3/25 5:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Kev,

Sorry to hear about your health. I wish you the best of luck, and hope that the treatment keeps working! Thanks for all you've done for the hobby!

Posted on: 2022/3/25 10:09
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved