Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 128

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1954 Radio not working
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Vinnie54
See User information
Hoping someone has worked on a 1954 radio and can give some advice on how to fix it or troubleshoot it? Not sure where to start before I have no choice and send it out. Could it be a fuse or wiring issue or just time to get it replaced? Trying to keep it as original as possible

Posted on: 2022/3/29 16:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Radio not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Oftentimes the issue with the radio come down to one of two things:

1) The capacitors degrade/leak. Those can be replaced.

2) The "vibrator" degrades, this is the thing that "hums", it turns DC into AC so signals can be amplified. Sometimes those can be "revived", sometimes they have to be replaced. These look like tubes and can be replaced either by a solid-state version or a NOS electro-mechanical.

3) The power tubes can go out as well, those were available for my 1953, they are probably available for your 1954. You might be able to find one of those tube-testers somewhere, or they can be tested yourself with basic equipment including a DC power supply.

Article about Radio Vibrators

Something more about vibrators, and rejuvenation:

Discussion about Radio Vibrators

And more

Vibrators

Vibrator Look Up (have to navigate over the "Radio Vibrators" subsection on the left), yours is a 1015-P.

Vibrator Look Up

Here's a solid state vibrator, make sure to get Positive Ground. I bought one as a backup to my rejuvenated electro-mechanical vibrator.

Solid State Vibrator

An interesting solid-state vibrator board you can install into your existing vibrator can:

Peko Radio Vibrator Board

If you look at the Factory Parts list to the left, there are 4 radios shown for 1954, PA439661, PA439665, PA4395663, and PA43966.

I remember buying a radio diagram from these guys for my 1953

https://autoradioschematics.com

But it doesn't look like they have yours listed, though they say they have 1000's more.

However, I found the schematic here:

The Schematic Man, Packard Radio Schematics

Posted on: 2022/3/29 17:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Vinnie54
See User information
Thank you so much for the information and I will start the troubleshooting this weekend. I did find it might be the ground wire not connected and the antenna does not go up and down either, so I have a bit of work to do. Much appreciated.

Posted on: 2022/3/30 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
does it come on at all?
I'd be careful powering it up, something may catch fire*. I'd inspect and bench it first.
Antenna won't affect the radio operation just the reception.

I don't like to say this but some of the old stuff simply is "shot" and not worth fixing. Even if you get it fixed/working, chances are something else will fail in it at some point in the future and parts will be harder to find.
* - All the internal wiring is probably toast and likely to short.

Posted on: 2022/3/31 10:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That’s exactly why the first thing to do is to replace all the capacitors, check or replace the vibrator and check or replace the tubes. That’s all before powering it on and once all that has been done, then you can start diagnosing if it still doesn’t work. If the fuse blew, there was a reason so putting in a new one fixes nothing.

Posted on: 2022/3/31 10:45
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Vinnie54
See User information
No, it doesn't come on at all. Hoping to get it working but it will be a work in progress. May look for a local company to see if they could restore it?

Posted on: 2022/3/31 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
If you are near the S.F Bay Area PM I could give you the name of the gentleman who worked on my radio.

Posted on: 2022/3/31 12:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Vinnie54
See User information
I am in SoCal and wonder if he will work on it if I ship it to him? That would be great

Posted on: 2022/4/1 8:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In the SoCal area you might also give this shop a call. It has been in business a long time and might even be within driving distance.

Posted on: 2022/4/1 8:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Vinnie54
See User information
Thanks, Howard, I will call and see what they can do. It's not too bad of a drive. Appreciate the info as well.

Posted on: 2022/4/1 9:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved