Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 107

r1lark, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Is it reall too far gone?
Just popping in
Just popping in

PackRat
See User information
I know the top end is a little rough but...
Can it not be decked cylinders bored maybe even sleeved?
Everything in the crank case was coated in a half inch grease and after a quick clean look pretty good.

All thoughts ideas appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  unnamed.jpg (460.18 KB)
225528_6279c706c51f7.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  unnamed (2).jpg (464.74 KB)
225528_6279c7a9174f5.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  unnamed (1).jpg (439.56 KB)
225528_6279c7d24ea94.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  packard stuck pistons.jpg (340.03 KB)
225528_6279c7fa3113d.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/5/9 21:04
 Top  Print 

Re: Is it reall too far gone?
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Yes.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 21:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As several people have already said, I don’t think that the engine is salvageable as it is far too heavily rusted and deeply pitted. If it’s rusty like this on the outside, the water jackets may be equally corroded nearly through from the inside too so any machine work on it would just be throwing money away.

Even if you took off enough metal to clean up the top, it would be so thin that the valves would hit the head and you may even break into the water jacket so really no point at all. If you want to spend big bucks to get it XRayed then go right ahead but I can almost guarantee when the end result will be!

Posted on: 2022/5/9 21:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Haul it to the machine shop and let them tell you. Internet is only good for some things.
From the pix, looks like there's way more than 60 thou damage on the flat surface and that's about all it'll deck assuming the head is "ok". Too many gaskets and it may not seal and you wanted to "hop" it up put more stress on it. All cylinders will have to be sleeved, you'll be into it for more money than a replacement ans still have a boat anchor motor.
There's usually a reason they sit. Unfortunately, they don't leave notes and often deteriorate further sitting. When it's so old and not working, it's not worth the coin to even store them correctly. Something to watch out for picking projects. Last we discussed value, a decent L8 was only worth in the $500 range, so a much better option and may still have some chop time and expense. A crate motor isn't much more. Might even find a P V8 someone will part.

Posted on: 2022/5/10 6:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yeah looks like it to me. I mean, there's still water sitting in the intakes as you take the picture so I'd be surprised if it's not rusted completely solid. Obviously it may be possible to salvage some parts off of it but the block looks toast so me. Like Jim said, especially if you want to put a turbo on it you'll want something that is mechanically sound in the first place.

Where are you located? I would take Ross's offer in your other post if you're nearby. Or there are other parts dealers dotted around the country if not.

Also what are you using/needing a Packard engine for, if you mind telling us? We can give you the best advice if we know what your end goal is.
(c.f. the X-Y Problem)

Posted on: 2022/5/10 8:25
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Was talking to a coworker and he insisted it would be rebuildable, but would cost like $5000 in machining.

Enough said

Posted on: 2022/5/10 13:05
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I wouldn’t count on the inside of the water jackets being intact. They could be paper-thin given its outside condition.

Posted on: 2022/5/10 13:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...I believe that Don is correct and you need to locate another engine to play with. I have not rebuilt Packard engines, but do work on Model A Ford Engines on a weekly basis. When they come in looking like your engine...they are not normally capable of being rebuilt...about one time in 50 or so...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/5/10 14:27
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Man, I'm sorry. I think the guys are right and you'll be dollars behind with what's left of your engine. It happens sometimes.

Contact Ross about his 327. If you're anywhere near Kentucky or Virginia, I lap through both from time to time, and I might can schlep your new to you or certainly closer, as Ross (likely) isn't that far from me. If you're hellbent on having a 288, your crank looks salvageable and should drop into a 327 block. Or use the 327 crank as a factory designed stroker kit.

I fear that block is lawn art.

Posted on: 2022/5/10 18:24
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
PackRat, where are you? I have a 288 in South Jersey at my sister's place doing nothing. It's outside but covered with plugs in. Condition unknown. Came out of a '49. Yours if you would like to make a donation of your chosing to this site. There is an engine lift there but would need something to roll to driveway. PM me if interested.
Mike

Posted on: 2022/5/10 19:36
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved