Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 133

Packard Don, happy, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Power Antenna Identification
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have a power antenna in my shop which is in the box although I don’t believe it’s actually new. However, the part number, 439667, isn’t in the parts book. It has a smaller bezel than I’ve seen and a self-centering toggle switch that appears to have been designed to mount under the dash with the switch pointing down. Could it be from a 1957 or 1958?

Attach file:

jpeg  AAFCD03A-53E2-4BE7-96E7-96D6F28E499F.jpeg (164.96 KB)
60923_62da1a1bcc27f.jpeg 1280X960 px

jpeg  18267982-24D1-4058-B5F5-9AAE9D41132A.jpeg (164.32 KB)
60923_62da1a389d700.jpeg 1280X960 px

jpeg  30A318EF-BF21-473B-92AB-8767220DA9F8.jpeg (143.96 KB)
60923_62da1a4a7db70.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2022/7/21 22:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Antenna Identification
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Looks to me like there's a label or cover plate on the motor that's been covered up with undercoating or something. It might have more info.
Certainly looks late '50s period but no catalogues or info who made these as they are similar across all the makes. Maybe talk to one of the radio shops, or antenna repair guys, if no one spots here.
I chased down the motor for one of mine(GM) and it was defunct manufacturer. Some had the connector, where you have a toggle, for the radio to raise and lower when you turned it on, so it must be a radio that didn't have that feature.

Posted on: 2022/7/22 10:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Stude apparently used Casco and Pioneer antennas and looking in the service index for 57 accessories there are four Stude service bulletins that mention different size bezels for rear antennas on 57-8 models and have photos of antennas. Your motor orientation does not look like any of them. Switches are not shown but the antennas for 57 Clippers have a different shape on the fender mounting part. Those look like they might be metal but the black bakelite on yours almost looks like it might be for a front fender mount. As I recall the space is very limited -- right next to the vent door -- if they mounted electric in the same spot as the older manual crankup antennas. That might be why the motor is so compactly placed.

The part number falls in the range given for a lot of the individual parts in the antenna options but I didn't find that specific number either. Most Stude only items seem to have 6 or 7 digits starting in the 1xxxxxx range and their accessories start with ACxx. They did keep the Packard PA-xxxxx for some items so if there is any kind of accessory number on the box that might be faintly stamped or covered up it could help identify.

Posted on: 2022/7/22 10:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The part number was from the Packard box it was in and even if that's not the antenna that was originally in the box, odd that the part number doesn't match anything! I'll have another look later so see if there are any other markings on it.

The mast looks just like that on any Packard but overall the assembly is shorter than the front fender antennas so at first I thought it was a 1956 rear fender antenna, but then the number didn't match. If not for weathering on the mast, I would have thought it NOS as the rest is excellent and without any dirt or grime which also points to an attachment where it was protected, such as in the trunk.

Posted on: 2022/7/22 11:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I just added a bit to the other post on Stude front antenna placement which if accurate could explain why antenna body might be so short.

Posted on: 2022/7/22 11:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had a closer look at the photos I took and there is something before the 6-digit number so I tried adding a PA which comes up as a 1954 power antenna so the box clearly does not belong to this antenna! I'll look at the mast later to see if there are any markings on it.

In the meantime, I looked on eBay and found a 1956 rear antenna which appears to have the same housing but with the motor aiming down rather than up.

Posted on: 2022/7/22 11:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The way the motor is placed I am still wondering if the antenna might be a front item for a 57-8 or maybe later Stude. Can't say for sure about the switch but Stude did use toggle type switches in some models and something under the dash might have been needed there. I know they went to extra lengths to quickly "power accessorize" the older Stude bodies to make 57 Packard models have available what was more or less a standard accessory on the earlier models. The 57 dash is kind of symmetrical and crowded behind so It could have been easier to go under dash rather than find a spot in dash for the switch. If you can test the antenna with 6v that might settle the question because if for a 12v Stude or Packard then 6v would just barely move it.

I believe but won't swear to it that Stude bodies placed all their front antennas in a small compartment in the kick panel area right next to the vent door. That could have protected yours from any road crap and kept it looking newish. They had a manual crank antenna that went there so the knob could be easily reached by the driver.

Here is a photo of the manual version and if yours has a length from bottom of nut to bottom of bracket at around 15 inches give or take and a width of about 4" -- maybe a tad more -- it would probably fit in the compartment.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2560.jpeg (40.09 KB)
209_62dada2b31775.jpeg 1280X450 px

Posted on: 2022/7/22 12:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
57 Clipper switch is push pull mounted in dash knob is different from 56 Packard but the escutcheon plate looks the same except for difference in shine on finish

Attach file:

jpg  IMG20220722143834.jpg (183.20 KB)
252_62daf96d488cb.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/7/22 14:28
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, in the photo it looks more like the one in 1956 Clipper which didn't have the brushed area that the Packard bezel had. They were all polished chrome.

Posted on: 2022/7/22 14:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
This antenna unit is about 18” long to the top of the tube and is 12v. On 6v it wouldn’t budge but on 12v it works fine.

Incidentally, the box with the number on it is for an NOS 1951-1954 antenna that I also have although the parts book lists it as being only 1954. There are many parts listed as ‘54 only, yet there are no visible differences that I can see on most of them.

Posted on: 2022/7/23 16:53
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved