Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New old Packard owner!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Hello from beautiful Western New York state. I didn't see a welcome section on this forum so I am starting here.
On Saturday I went to store my 1967 pickup in a large garage a gentleman in town owns. In the back I see a very large dusty black old car so I asked him what the story of the car was. He told me it was a 1951 Packard 200 touring sedan he had bought around 30 years ago and would consider selling it. I got the "ran when I parked it" story. He told me what he wanted and I gave him a price that would make me buy it. He agreed to my price so a deal was done.
The car I was told came out of the Packard estate in Chautauqua Institution where the Packards had a mansion. ( Just sold for 3 Mil ) It is 100% original except the tires and a new voltage regulator. No rust or dents, original paint and interior is very nice except the front seat bottom is ripped. 30k original miles. Has full wheel covers and turn signals, heater and radio. I am confused as to if this makes it a deluxe or not but doesn't matter much.
My plan is to buff the paint as best I can, shine up the chrome, replace the tires (nice but 30 years old), find an upholstery shop that can replace the damaged portion of the seat and drive the wheels off it. ( Figuratively speaking I hope ).
Had plans to just tow it home as it's not far away but one front wheel is stuck and it has no brakes so it's trailer time tomorrow. I plan on putting some oil down the plug holes and turning it over a few times before I try to start it. Also drain the fuel and replace the oil and filter.
Anyway it's a cool old car and I'm looking forward to starting work on it. Now to buy a fedora!

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_E4115.JPG (266.90 KB)
225857_6356078669e77.jpg 1920X1310 px

jpg  IMG_E4115.JPG (266.90 KB)
225857_635607be641b2.jpg 1920X1310 px

Posted on: 2022/10/23 22:36
 Top  Print 
LikeLove (4)

Re: New old Packard owner!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Welcome and I’m working on a 1951 also but a slightly larger one. As I just recently learned, the bright work over the tops of the doors signify that it is a Deluxe which also apparently means that it has somewhat upscale upholstery. I’ve never owned a 1951 junior model such as a 200, though, so be sure to enter your VIN into the Packard Decoder (found to the left) to see other details. We would love to watch your progress so be sure to start a project blog for it and add it to the Vehicle Registry too!

Posted on: 2022/10/24 3:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Personally I would just wash it and not buff it. Black paint shows its patina super well.

The I8 engines in those are extremely reliable as old engines go so you'll probably be able to get it going with not a lot of issues if you're cautious about things. Definitely get it spun over before you crank it.

Welcome to the forum!

P.S. Maybe post some interior photos

Posted on: 2022/10/24 9:50
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Cheifdan, Congratulations on acquiring what appears to be a really nice original Packard. I am sure that you will get a great deal of enjoyment from it. To learn more about you car, I suggest that you read the recent post in this section of the Forum entitled Identification, dated 10/16. I once owned a 1951 Packard 200, a two door club sedan, and I posted some photos and scans of original sales literature detailing the differences between the base model 200's and the Deluxe models. As your car has the chrome mouldings above the doors, it is a Deluxe as PackardDon has already noted. The Deluxe also had a plusher interior with a distinctive checkerboard pattern on the door panels. Wishing you the best of luck with you new Packard. Please post more pictures when you have the opportunity.

Posted on: 2022/10/24 11:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Chiefdan: Welcome! Congratulations on buying a nicely preserved 1951 200 Deluxe. You've come to the right place for correct advice and encouragement.

Please start a project blog in that section to record your progress as you reactivate your Packard. It is also a good place to post your questions. Though, do a search first as so many of the common problems that arise have been thoroughly dealt with and documented for instant answers.

Joining a national Packard club will open up a wealth of knowledge, parts sources and contacts with other Packard owners. The Packard Club (PAC) is most active in the eastern part of the country. Once a member of the national club, we have the East Grand Packards Region which covers most of New York State which I invite you to join as well. Please check East Grand Packards Region which is an open Facebook site for our group.

Steve

Posted on: 2022/10/24 12:31
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Chiefdan,
to PackardInfo.

I also invite you to include your '51 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/10/24 17:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Took everyone's advice and poured oil in the cylinders, let it sit for 24 hrs and turned it over before putting plugs back in. With a new NAPA battery, it would run just a little when gas is poured in carb. Rigged up a lawn mower gas tank and started the car. After the initial filling the garage with smoke it settled down and runs great.
My next project is brake cylinders, hoses and lines. Next, clean the fuel tank and fuel pump rebuild. Goal is running, driving car by spring. Here is a photo after its first wash job in 25 years.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4122.JPG (402.29 KB)
225857_63603fc8a7d47.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/10/31 16:36
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Chiefdan,
for including your '51 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan in the PackardInfo Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/10/31 19:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Probably want to change/rebuild the master too. Brake fluid turns to puke after that long.
Gotta be able to stop before you can go.
The carb probably needs new ethanol resistant gasket/parts.
I always consider the wiring suspect after 30 years, and you're at 71. So inspect for stiffness and loss of insulation, ampdraw/resistance, etc.
Service all the wheel bearings, ball and u joints, and rear end. That gets overlooked, especially the diff and that gear oil doesn't last forever. I just was involved in a discussion of a guy like yourself that jumped in and drove the wheels off, and then had driveline failure. Word to the wise.
I suspect the rag joint and maybe the steering may need attention too. And suspension parts, lube and replace as needed. It's never a jump in a drive scenario as we think. Time does not stand still if the car does. I'm still dealing with a "driver" that didn't live up to it's billing.
I don't see any issue with attending to the paint, if skilled. Certainly needs cleaned before any wax.
I good story otherwise. Lots of info on this site if you go to the right side and poke around.

Posted on: 2022/10/31 19:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I second everything Jim said, old lubes still lube somewhat, but I wouldn't drive it even 100 miles without doing the full lube chart. And oil the generator immediately if you want the bearings to last.

Car is looking good so far, I wouldn't be surprised if you find it pretty reliable as long as you take care of all the service that is decades overdue.

Posted on: 2022/10/31 19:51
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved