Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Oil Filter Plumbing 1940 356CI
Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
I've read the numerous postings about this issue, but I have a question regarding the Oil Filter Kit. I'm aware of the issue with the lack of oil to the tappets , hence the Oil Filter Kit #378858. It's described as "pipes and fittings" in Vol 15 No. 12.
Is there any description of the parts?

A later bulletin references a flow restriction at the inlet to the oil filter. Was that a special fitting as part of the kit?

My other question is the drilling and tapping for an 1/8" pipe plug for the return as part of the Oil Filter Kit. This block appears to have been drilled but plugged at some point in time. Is this the correct plug for the return?

Attach file:

png  Oil Filter.PNG (708.17 KB)
1493_63864b3cf0633.png 810X747 px

jpg  20221129_113448.jpg (185.94 KB)
1493_63864b6cde21d.jpg 1920X908 px

Posted on: 2022/11/29 13:13
Steve P
Forest, Va

1929 645 Dual Cowl Phaeton
1937 120C Conv Coupe
1940 1389 Conv Coupe
1940 1377 Super 8 160 Conv Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Filter Plumbing 1940 356CI
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The new hole looks to have been drilled and plugged with an ordinary slotted head pipe plug. To use it that plug would be removed and if the hole is already threaded properly a 1/8" NPT to 1/4" inverted flare tube adapter to take the tubing would thread back in the hole. That would be one of the 6659 parts. The other would go in the upper block port going to the lifter gallery.

In this Service Letter which has the same illustration you posted the paragraph below the illustration mentions the restriction as being a hole with dimension of 5/64". Another bulletin I believe issued later during the war had dealers check for the restriction and if not found obtain a fitting, fill the port opening with solder and then drill that specific size hole in the solder. At some point rather than have the restriction in a fitting the canister itself was changed to include the restriction in the center pipe. Whether you need to add a restriction would depend on the canister you have.

The kit pipes are the labeled tube shown in the diagram and the tube adapter to block fittings are ordinary brass fittings some of which are available today. The original plumbing had the filter fed almost like the new version but only had a single tee. The filter return was to the upper port going to the lifters so the second tee was not needed. Changing the plumbing required the kit with a new tube and tee for the direct oil supply to the upper lifter gallery port. I suspect the new return route to the drilled hole in the block used the old return tube that was rebent for the new location.

Here is specs given in the parts Utility section for the 6659 tubing adapter. The tee is a different story. With one port being a 1/8 NPT male nipple, that may have been special or at least not as easily found today. You may need to get two regular tees with the ends threaded 1/8 NPT female and the center side port being for 1/4" inverted flare tubing. Use a 1/8" close nipple to connect the first tee to the block and a second close nipple to connect the two tees together to duplicate the drawing. At one time Max Merritt supplied that setup but I don't know if that is still the case. Most decent hardware and some auto parts stores should be able to come up with the adapters, nipples, and tees. On later versions of the plumbing the need for a second tee was eliminated and Packard used a special square 4 port brass block to replace the tees.

Attach file:

jpg  fitting.jpg (141.65 KB)
209_63865406ee7ad.jpg 1092X1086 px

Posted on: 2022/11/29 13:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
My 1940 has the original block and I have not wanted to drill into the block. If an adapter could be found better to drill a hole in the oil filler tube? Thanks

Posted on: 2022/11/29 16:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
Howard, Thank you for the information. That's what I was looking for..........So, I guess the flow was restricted into the filter forcing more volume into the tappet area?
I did notice the follow up Service Letter was in Aug 1943. Did the plumbing mods take care of the issue of noisy tappets?

Posted on: 2022/11/29 17:11
Steve P
Forest, Va

1937 120C Conv Coupe
1940 1389 Conv Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
Todd, I appreciate your reluctance to drill the block. I was in the same position and was thinking about the filler tube also, if all it's doing is returning the oil to the pan.

After taking another look, I found the filler plug where it had been drilled in the past.

Posted on: 2022/11/29 17:14
Steve P
Forest, Va

1937 120C Conv Coupe
1940 1389 Conv Coupe
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The restriction allows only about 10% of the oil to go to the filter and the other approximately 90 percent was then available to the engine and particularly have a higher pressure and constant flow to the lifter gallery.

From what I gather the noisy tappets were hit or miss. Some engines were problematic and others never had the issue. There was another issue that could also mess with the amount of oil and pressure available to keep the lifters filled. That issue was addressed later but the plumbing change did completely eliminate any issues with clogged filters or any pressure loss in the filter assy from affecting the supply to the lifters. Apparently the increased flow and pressure was enough to compensate for the other issue which was fixed with a revised lifter gallery bleed valve in 42 models. The revised plumbing setup was an improvement and plumbing was almost identical thru 1954.

Posted on: 2022/11/29 17:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
Thank you again Howard for the info. Now I can continue on the rebuild!

Posted on: 2022/11/29 17:51
Steve P
Forest, Va

1937 120C Conv Coupe
1940 1389 Conv Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Trying to post, when I do I get a red pop up at the top of the screen for just a second then deletes the post?
If I run my filter, I think correct one with pointed bottom, as a branch line coming off the block outlet and inlet holes is that a good idea? Is there enough oil pressure to push through the direct line and oil filter line? Thanks

Posted on: 2022/11/29 20:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am not exactly following the plumbing route you have described to say if it was the original early routing. It sort of sounds like it is and if you have been running without issues then I would say things are OK and your engine is one of those that never exhibited any problems.

The original route had the filter in series with the lifters so all oil to the lifter gallery had to pass thru the filter. That caused an issue in some engines with the lifters not getting enough oil flow to stay pumped up.

Clogging filters or just the general loss of pressure as oil passed thru the filter along with sometimes too much bleed off onto the timing chain was identified as the usual reasons for low flow and noisy liter problems.

Posted on: 2022/11/29 21:43
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Just tried to post again and got the red box at top invalid code?
My thinking is having oil go through the filter and the direct line, this way there will be some filtering and if there is any kind of blockage with filter will still have the direct line. But, there might also be an issue of the same size one line that goes back into the galley not being able to handle volume from the two feeds?
Thanks

Posted on: 2022/11/29 23:14
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved