Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 91

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Oven cleaner recommendations
Just popping in
Just popping in

prouddavid
See User information
Has any of you guys ever tried using Lye based oven cleaner to strip parts with?

Just curious how well it works and if it causes any damage to the parts or not?

Posted on: 2023/1/19 14:15
 Top  Print 

Re: Oven cleaner recommendations
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I have used spray type oven cleaner to clean 1920's Packard aluminum oil pans with excellent results.
I don't if it was lye based, just a regular supermarket product

Posted on: 2023/1/19 15:41
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've used it as well. It's works better on a hot motor. You just really have to flush it off really well ND dry completely otherwise you'll be amazed how quickly it flashes over in rust.

Posted on: 2023/1/19 15:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Works well for removing caked on grime from steel and iron parts.
It will attack aluminum so any contact time should be minimized.
And as Kev says it should be thoroughly flushed off.

Posted on: 2023/1/19 18:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I can't speak for car parts, but a friend of mine used some natural citrus cleaner (I think sold at WalMart) in a jar for a badly rusted hammer that cleaned it right up like new. Word of warning though, at some point he moved and cracked the jar and created a slight leak and it ate a bit of his concrete in his garage as well.

Posted on: 2023/1/19 21:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I haven't used oven cleaner but I have used that very strong no-scrub bathroom cleaner on things that are hard to clean, like car wheels. It will etch aluminum. So today, I stick with Dawn and a good ol' toilet bowl brush.

I'm having good luck with Evaporust for rust removal, but it won't do anything with grease. I guess it ain't Evapogrease.

Posted on: 2023/1/20 6:43
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I use it to strip off undercoating overspray on stainless steel parts. It also takes off original paint so watch out.

For new paint, you need paint stripper.

And yes the oven cleaner will clean very well in general.

Posted on: 2023/1/20 8:35
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Read the labels of the oven cleaners carefully. DO NOT use lye on aluminum components! They are incompatible and a violent reaction can occur with risk to health and potentially rapid destruction of the aluminum parts.

Posted on: 2023/1/20 8:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Never use products for unintended uses.
Plenty of commercial cleaners, Gunk, etc. for this. Visit your local parts store.

I use HD "easy-off" on my SS fry pans, and it's very unfriendly to use and makes me cough/gag from the mist/vapors. Have to hold my breathe while applying then leave area but only thing that works. I've tried them all. Should come with more warnings.

I observed/investigated an industrial accident when caustic(lye) got backed up into a steel nitrogen distribution system with cast aluminum meters and the meters blew apart from the build up of hydrogen from reaction with caustic... ie, incompatible materials.
Not worth killing yourself to save a few seconds cleaning something or ruin a rare priceless part.
If you don't know what kind of metal it's made of, don't try stuff.
Water and the purple or orange stuff will clean most greasy things but may take a few washes/brushing. "Dawn" dishwash detergent undiluted is also effective for greasy. I use it on the concrete floor for oil spills, after the oil dry, if the other two don't get all the sheen off. Apply, brush it, let it sit then hose it off. Some powders will absorb it better than granules. I'll sometimes grind fresh oil dry in with my boot after the first spill is gone. Sweep up.
The issue usually is as DIYers we don't have the knowledge or proper tools and equipment to safely do the jobs at home, so resort to short cuts/experiments that cause issues. Best is to get a parts cleaner machine for your garage. Find a local "dipper" or industrial cleaner that can degrease your larger parts, if you can't.

Posted on: 2023/1/20 9:55
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mynlak
See User information
I wish I knew the content of this thread before I called my wife into the room for some input.

Posted on: 2023/1/27 18:40
 Top  Print 
Laugh (1)

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved