Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

CarFreak, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Utica Engine Number Prefixes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I have a copy of a factory letter/attachement (hand-dated 4-16-56) advising:

Quote:
A- 5640....Ultramatic Drive

B- 5660....Ultramatic Drive

C- 5688....Ultramatic Drive

D- 5680....Ultramatic Drive

P- AMC

S- Studebaker....Ultramatic Drive

K- Studebaker....Standard & O.D.

AA- 5640....Standard & O.D.

BB- 5660....Standard & O.D.

1. Service Stripped Engines or short blocks are not stamped.

2. Export Engines starting with 55th Series have XH stamped on block between V just back of the water pump. Same location that Conners stamp engine numbers.

3. Utica Engine number that was stamped on right rear exhaust port flange is now stamped on the front of the block, same location as Conner uses.

4. No change in stamping when head shims went into effect.

By "same location as Conner...", I assume they are referring to the vehicle serial number.

Meanwhile, I have seen Senior 56th Series cars alleged to have been equipped from the factory with standard or overdrive transmission, and the parts book seems to support their existence. Yet, no mention of this in the above. Logically, one might assume prefixes of "CC" for 5688 and "DD" for 5680 chassis, but I'd like to hear some corroborating evidence from owners.

Last but not least, does anyone know the corresponding prefixes assigned to 55th Series engines?

Edited by B.H. for typographical errors in quoted text on 2007/10/28 18:06:15

Posted on: 2007/10/28 17:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Utica Engine Number Prefixes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
TSB 56T-20 gives the following, which doesn't agree completely with your info:

A & AA 5640
B & BB 5660-70
C 5688
D & DD 5680

Of the dozen or so 56 Caribbeans I've examined with their original engines and/or transmissions, all begin with the Utica "C" prefix. I've only examined a half-dozen or so Patricians and they've all begun with "D" prefix, thus in agreement with 56T-20.

Posted on: 2007/10/28 17:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

I apologize for typographical errors relative to the "B" and "C" prefixes in the quoted text, which didn't agree with STB 56T-20. I had hand-typed the entire text, but encountered a "page expired" error after clicking the Submit button. When I hit the Back button on my browser, my text was gone, and I had to retype the whole thing.

Haste makes waste. I should have typed it all up in a text editor the first time around, then pasted it over here. Meanwhile, I have since corrected the quotation in my original post and duly noted it as edited.

There was no mention of a 5670 chassis in the document that I cited, but I would logically expect the prefix for the Exec engine to follow the 5660 chassis designation as the parts book only notes a 5670 chassis/model designation when it differs from 5660.

The data from STB 56T-20 gives the impression that there were no factory-built Caribs with standard or overdrive. Is that true?

Getting back to my original post, can anyone out there with a 56th Series Senior model with standard or overdrive provide some input as to the Utica engine number prefix on their car?

Also, I'd still like to know what the prefixes were for 55th Series engines.

Posted on: 2007/10/28 18:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though most likely we'll never be able to truly know with certainty, I suspect that there were no 56 Caribbeans equipped by the factory with standard shift. It is possible that a conversion would have been undertaken by a willing dealer in order to clinch a sale, not unlike the 400s and other models that have the 2x4 carburetor setup that owners claim to be factory but in the absence of a build sheet to prove it, most probably were not.

Posted on: 2007/10/29 8:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Right. I don't recall this being reported on any club's roster (which can only be as accurate as the observer who submitted the details), but I figured one could check transmission equipment against the engine prefix - provided the block had not been replaced.

Years ago, I was surprised to find a Four Hundred with O.D. trans at an annual show in Western Penna., and I seem to recall seeing a clutch pedal on a Carib, but can't recall whether they were 55th or 56th Series cars. Mind you, that was long before I had that letter/attachment; I hadn't paid much attention to the Utica numbers then and didn't know enough to look deeper.

Also, I've seen a lot of engines on cars offered on eBay that appear to have been swapped or at least painted the wrong color.

Having correct prefix assignments for '55s, as well, could help with authentication.

Posted on: 2007/10/29 8:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The only reference I'm aware of with regard to 1955 Utica Plant engine codes is in TSB 55T-19, and it doesn't provide much useful info. It states three code prefixes, A, B, and C which one might assume are Clipper, Packard, and Caribbean respectively.

Posted on: 2007/10/29 9:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The late Steve Williams had a '56 Carib with an overdrive which was a dealer conversion. The high clutch pedal and the low power brake pedal looked clunky. Don't know where the car is now that Steve has gone.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2007/10/31 20:56
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I feel a little silly responding to a 2007 thread, but Jack Vines commented that the 56 Caribbean that had been dealer converted to OD had a high clutch pedal and low power brake pedal, thereby looking "clunky". A friend of mine has a 53 Cavalier with OD (which was a factory option on Cavaliers) and it has the same awkward pedal arrangement. The clutch pedal is high like a normal clutch pedal and goes through the floor. The power brake pedal is hinged and low. My guess is that all 55 and 56 Packards and Clippers coming from the factory with OD had this same peculiar pedal arrangement.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 10:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I will concur with that assessment Chuck, as I have recently looked at a '55 Clipper with power brakes and o/d and it's the same way. It is factory, too. But to me, it seems like the other way around, the clutch pedal is lower than the brake pedal. It may just seem that way since the clutch is missing it's pedal.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.33 KB)
34_4a706f4f6bdb8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/7/29 10:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
eric, did you notice if the pedal was in the car? i forgot to ask him over the phone while make'n the deal for it. thanks for the info on it! i look forward to it coming home with me!

Posted on: 2009/7/29 18:46
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved