Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1932 901 Gas Line
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Having not taken this car apart, I could use some help on the gas system.

1) I have a part of the original line and it is copper, but the portion near the front of the car appears to be nickle plated. Is this the case or is just copper all the way. If it is nickle plated does anyone supply it?

2) I don't have the front fitting that goes through the frame. It appears that this fitting would go through the 5/8" hole just forward of the radiator. I am guessing that this is a standard brass, flare bulkhead fitting. Any known sources and I'm correct on where it goes through?

3) I would also guess that a copper line then comes back toward the carburetor and a gas proof rubber hose then feeds the carburetor.

Thanks

Posted on: 2011/1/26 20:46
 Top  Print 

Re: 1932 901 Gas Line
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can only offer help based on a 1934 which is of course quite different, fuel pump on the driver's side and downdraft carb. Fuel line from the tank is copper, runs laterally from the pick-up on the tank to a steel fitting riveted to the left frame about at the bump-up for the rear axle, that fittings goes thru a frame hole and makes a right angle on the far side, facing forward. Second line is copper, running from there alongside the driver' side frame rail to another right angle steel or iron fitting riveted to and thru the frame adjacent to the fuel pump. Braided flex line to the pump suction side. Nickel-plated steel line with insulating wrap from there, across the front of the engine, and up to the carburetor. Wish I could help with the specifics of the 32, but there's plenty of them around - suggest you browse your club membership directory, make some phone calls, and you're bound to find someone who can provide the info.

PS: If it is nickle plated does anyone supply it? Not that I know of, you make a line from steel tubing and have a plater finish it in nickel plate. The nickel actually only shows for about 3-4 inches at each end, the rest covered in loom from what I've seen, though not sure the loom covering is authentic or a later add on, perhaps as a vapor-lock cure, though it sort of defeats the purpose, it insulates the line from the cooling blast of the fan.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 23:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Thanks for the info. I'm going to a Packard car show this Saturday, which should help a lot. There is a '32 about 20 miles from me that I have looked at and taken pictures of. But there is always that picture that one left out or doesn't remember.

Posted on: 2011/1/27 19:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
have a 903 but it may be different. I'm told that all lines under the hood were nickel plated. I just had regular steel lines plated.

My runs along the outer frame and then somewhere after the firewall it makes a diagonal turn under the splash pans and then to the fuel pump. The splash pans have a grove in them to accept the fuels lines. From the fuel pump I have a steel line directly to the carb.

Posted on: 2011/1/27 22:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
The fuel lines are nickel plate in the engine compartment only.

You can send the line out for plating, pick up a plating kit, or apply standard 60/40 solder to the outside of the cleaned line. If the solder is wiped off with a flannel cloth while still hot you'll get a finish similar to nickel plate.

Plating kits:

http://www.caswellplating.com/

My '32 901 does not have any bulkhead fuel fittings in the frame.

The line from the tank crosses over the frame rail through an opening in the splash apron where it is bolted to the frame.

The line arches over the spring bracket and goes to the fuel pump inlet. The line from the pump to the carburetor comes out straight then angles straight down.

It then goes through a hole in the splash apron, heads towards the back of the car for approx. 12" and then comes up through the splash apron again to connect to the fitting on the Detroit Lubricator type 51.

There is rubber grommet in each one of the holes in the splash apron to prevent the line from wearing through.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.43 KB)
1584_4d4480a9a2f39.jpg 690X524 px

jpg  (57.75 KB)
1584_4d4480b9c8e04.jpg 635X635 px

jpg  (22.81 KB)
1584_4d4480c2bb05f.jpg 390X306 px

Posted on: 2011/1/29 16:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Good description of he fuel line routing. I do have a question regarding the ful line from the pump to the carb. Was it routed through the splash pan to reduce the heat to it?

My 32 when I got it was routed like that plus between the two holes there were a couple of S bends in the line I guess for more cooling area.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 21:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
I would agree, the line from the pump to the carb. was purposely run outside the engine compartment for cooling before coming back to the carb.

The shortest run would not have taken this route, and running outside required punching additional holes in the splash apron along with two additional rubber grommets.

Packard Engineering's solution to vapor lock?

Posted on: 2011/1/30 7:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I might replumb my line to run outside. I wasn't sure that was correct to run it underneath teh spolash panels.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 14:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
I'll post a few more pictures of the car when I was done with the engine work, that show the fuel line details better.

The rubber grommets that went in the splash pan came from McMaster. If I can find the P/N for these I'll include it with the pictures.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 16:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Thanks To All - especially 32Model901 for the pictures. His pictures and description makes 100% sense when I look at all of the pieces of line and fittings. It explains why the last 3 feet of copper line were nickle plated and the rest was not. The fitting on the pump also matches the one that I have.

Great job by all and again THANKS - Marty

Posted on: 2011/1/30 19:22
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved