Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1950 Packard Standard Eight - Rear Shocks
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Carlson
See User information
Would anyone know the manufacturer's part number for rear shocks (say, NAPA, Monroe, Gabriel, KYB)?
The existing rear shocks on my 1950 Standard Eight are too short. In order to change the rear tire, the lower end of the shock has to be disconnected from the rear axle in order to let the axle drop down further to allow the rear wheel to be removed (ie, so that the wheel can slip between the axle and the fender).

Posted on: 2011/9/19 16:33
John
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 Packard Standard Eight - Rear Shocks
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
John

There is not enough room to get the rear tires on and off a bathtub-the body is too narrow. Standard operating procedure is to deflate the rear tires.

It's the one of the wages of style

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2011/9/19 18:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Once the skirt is removed, I've never had a problem getting the wheel off/on (and that's with radials!).

I used NAPA gas-charged shocks on my '50 Custom. Part number was 94080.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
It does not make sense that a tire has to be deflated to get it off/on, you can be sure that no automaker ever designed a car that way. If you have a flat out on the road and must install the spare and deflate it before installation, then you will have another flat on your car???!!!!???

If you use modern 70 series aspect ratio tires they are too wide, you must use old fashioned style tires like 7.60 or 8.00x15 or equivalent aspect ratio radials

Posted on: 2011/9/19 20:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
I have modern radials on my car and can remove the inflated tyre after the skirt is removed. Really not an issue....
I have Monroe shocks - matched from the originals in the spares shop. Will get the number for you if I remember...

My tyre size is 235/15 and is as close to possible to the original 8.00 x 15 as per the Coker tyre calculator. Nice wide and fat tyres. You do have to let the axle drop a fair bit so I carry a small hydralic jack (made in china for this once in a while purpose - haha!) I keep the bumper jack as a momento as it will scratch my chrome!

Here is a picture of the old cross ply tires compared to the new radials as well as a picture of the new Monroe rear shocks.

Attach file:

jpg  (125.39 KB)
484_4e78381ec23e6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (151.86 KB)
484_4e7838f618d27.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (98.99 KB)
484_4e78395f7e876.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/9/20 1:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
The modern low profile tires people put on the streamliner Packards are either too wide to fit under the body or they are too small in diameter. You have to use the narrow tall tires the car was designed for. I bought the very expensive Diamondback radials to get the best of both worlds, the proper tire dimensions along with the handling advantage of a radial tire.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 9:28
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Carlson
See User information
Maybe I should have mentioned that G78-15 tires are currently on the car (they are slightly undersized compared to the original 760-15 tires).

Tire size / width is not the problem, the extended length of the all-too-short rear shock is the problem.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 11:15
John
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Carlson
See User information
JD

Thank you. I will try NAPA's #94080 (13 3/8" compressed; 20 1/8" extended) or an equivalent brand (maybe Car Quest's #1924045; made by KYB).

Just to be sure, I'll unfasten an existing shock and measure the compressed length. Then I'll measure the required extended length.

Regards,

John

Posted on: 2011/9/20 11:29
John
 Top  Print   

Tire size
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
I have Diamondback 225/75/15 wide whites installed on my 1950 Standard Eight and have never had any difficulties changing the rear tires if I do two things:

1. Remove the fender skirt

2. Jack up the car anyplace but on the axle. I use a scissors jack that I place under the frame just forward of the rear wheel. This lifts the entire car up, allowing the rear wheel to drop far enough past the body that removing it becomes a piece of cake.

I also have NAPA 94080 shocks installed.

All the best,

Mark

Posted on: 2011/9/20 13:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Tire size
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Carlson
See User information
Mark

Thank you.

You have super-confirmed the solution to my "short shock" problem w/ NAPA 94080's. I no longer see the need to make any compressed / extended length measurements; I'll just buy a pair.

Also, I'm planning to buy 225/75-15 wide-whitewall radials. Did you up-grade from bias-ply to radials? Are you fully satisfied w/ your radials and the increased performance they afford?

Regards,

John

Posted on: 2011/9/20 13:50
John
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved