Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Multi-car storage solutions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
For those fortunate enough to have more than a few classics, what do you guys store them in?

I want to discuss all methods and ways, offsite, barns, climate controlled, pole barns, etc. just to see if there's a consensus or what have you.

I have 3 vehicles and possibly 4 if I can obtain a car from my mother (long story) but storage room/work space is always an issue, especially for such things as major work and full-on long term restoration.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 5:45
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Re: Multi-car storage solutions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
To start, I just moved from a one car rented unit, was $250/month no climate control or running water to a 1200 sf rental with heat and a bathroom.

I plan on running my side business out of it, but at $975 a month it isn't cheap, plus elec/cable is a cost also.

Just a but if background, I just returned to my full-time job at a refinery here in PA (after being closed for 5 months, Delta Air Lines bought us) so the classic car business (weddings,etc) never fully got off the ground but Its what I would like to do full-time eventually.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 5:52
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Rich,
I have 4 cars. They are stored in a 50 foot storage area with power (on a 20amp circuit) and lights. I keep my work shop there and do all the work on the cars there too. I live in Vancouver, WA, and pay $300.00 per month. I don't have heat but I do run a 100W light bulb inside the cars during the Fall and Winter to maintain air circulation and keep mold and mildew under control. I have the mouse population under control with 35 to 40 peanut butter baited traps (got enough pelts to do the back seat of the convertible ) I found that the cost of a comparable unit in the Portland/Vancouver area to be 5 to 7 times more expensive, and, none will let you work on cars. I drive 20 miles to get to my storage space...not too bad. Fenced, security lights, lots of like minded people in and out all the time. Been there 4 years. Picture attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (135.20 KB)
721_4ffb85194f016.jpg 1280X768 px

Posted on: 2012/7/9 20:28
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, especially Steve. I have fears about running an ignition source such as a light bulb in cars. I used to do it also but now put an electric blanket inside my cars and sheds to prevent condensation. They consume about 100W of power but are much safer in terms of fire risk. Best regards peter Toet.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 21:15
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
SSSooooooooooooooo, as I understand your post , I need to keep the mice warm while they eat my peanut butter too????

Posted on: 2012/7/9 21:57
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
The mice will at least die happy and well fed, but I believe the idea is that they get to the peanut butter on the traps before they head to the blanket for a snooze.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 1:11
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Rich,

I have three Packards (37, 47, 55). I have two storage spaces that I rent. I keep one of the Packards in the garage here at home and the other two stored. I visit them each month when I pay the rent ($125 each per month). I exchange one of them for the car that has been at home and start the other one and let it run for several minutes until it is at operating temperature. I do maintenance and other work on the one while it is home, and drive it once a week. This rotation schedule works well, but I wish I had room for all of them at home. I have had no problem with pests. The storage space does not have electrical service.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/7/11 17:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I have 2 Packards (55 Pat & 56 Panther nee Clipper) and 1 restored 76 Firebird (TurboForce Revival) that I can store inside at my place (3 car garage). My wife's '12 Sentra sometimes replaces the Firebird inside, i.e., the Packards are always stored inside, although sometimes the 55 Pat is temporarily parked outside if the Firebird is being worked.

I see from the previous posts that car storage fees vary a lot around the country and are usually expensive. Here in Pahrump, NV I previously stored the Firebird at a local rental place in an enclosed 10x20 steel shipping container for $50/mo. However, I wouldn't want to be in there on days like this (115F).

Craig

Posted on: 2012/7/11 18:14
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
In 2006 the wife and we bought our retirement home. A 32 X 90 mfg home. While we were waiting for we went and had built an action bldg 32 X 24 4 car garage, no heat or air, but lots of dust, but they are safe from the elements, and I need another one. I have 3 cars outside, the Clipperrod a 56 Dodge, and a 62 dart 4dr sedan. The 4 cars inside are the wifes 55 Pat, my wifes 55 Pat, and 2 Dodge dart convertibles, one is stock and the other has been customized. If I could have afforded it I would have gone with a 50 X 100 farm building. Always buy bigger than you think you need.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 20:57
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Always buy bigger than you think you need.

Truer words were never spoken, written or sent telepathically --

There must be a rule on this. Think it goes something like "the amount of stuff you've collected will always be at least double what you thought you had.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 21:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved