Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 77

J-Dreamer, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard International Fiduciary Issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The more modern generation doesn't understand it because the world of Packard, unlike most other collectibles, is still stuck in the 1980's.

Many of the strained relations with in the Packard world are the same i saw back in the late 80's and thru the mid-90's among other marques, but such strained issues have long since subsided for the other marquies. The Internet has served to provide a monumental flow of information.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 20:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I don't think this is about PAC vs PI. It's about, IMHO, PI mishandling inquiries from the hoi poloi. It developed into a major PR problem. Egos mays be involved. Previous club leaders would have nipped it in the bud, but instead it was allowed to fester. The entire issue of the current Oregon publication is devoted to documenting the communications that led to the decision by an overwhelming majority vote to pull out of PI.

Yes, I was a founding member of the Oregon Region of PI, but I was not an active member for years and years after 1980, and though I received a ballot about dissolution of the relationship with PI, I did not vote. The first time I heard about any history of animosity between the clubs was here.

What's funny is that both clubs have practically the same members. To me this says there are 2 different cultures at the top end of both organizations. The best examples of its expression are the respective publications which I'd characterize as USA Today vs the Wall Street Journal. What neither do is what happens here at packardinfo.com, namely, help you restore your Packard.

I like PAC Cormorant for the excellent writing and editing, historical perspectives and forum for members to share the stories of their Packard's significance, if nothing more than a member of the family for decades. PI's publication documents club activities. A few years ago it went off on political rants until members suggested it was inappropriate for a Packard association. The meets, the auctions, with lots of photos, are its strengths. So they each have a place in balancing those aspects of a membership built around a hobby.

Posted on: 2012/10/6 1:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I have admired Packards for a long time. About five years ago, I decided that living in Alaska should not be a deterrent to owning and keeping one and I started gathering info to buy one. Early in that process I joined both PI and PAC. I did not renew my PI membership because I found that there is little useful information in the PI publication, the layout of the PI mag was irksome, and the PI mag is mostly just a venue for back slapping amongst their members. Not my cup of tea. I like PAC and especially this site because I can learn things, a lot of things, from folks who simply love Packards and share their knowledge and experience, and leave their egos out of it. But, that's just my opinion...
Mark.

Posted on: 2012/10/6 22:30
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

OsgoodConklin
See User information
I am also a member of the now independent Packards of Oregon. I was very vocal in having our club leave PI and it had nothing to do with PAC. Here are a few FACTS. PI spent $5,250 by the PI Board's own admission to fund part of the expense of sending a private persons car to Europe, with no discussion with the larger membership. The PI Board allowed the News Counselor to lapse with no discussion with the membership and in fact continued for many months to list the newsletter as a benefit. PI sold club Projects with no discussion with the membership. Fact I have yet to see a Balance sheet that would show the real finances of PI just an operating statement. These issues have only to do with how the President and Board are operating PI. I simply disagree with the above and voted with the overwhelming majority of our members to leave PI

Posted on: 2012/10/13 16:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Joe - you were sent a ballot as a courtesy to the founding members. This is how serious we took the vote.

Packards of Oregon has not applied for membership in the PAC.

Some other issues is the PI board is self appointed board with no input from the regions who sits on it.

I see the biggest reason for most members to vote to leave was the arrogance shown towards the Oregon region by PI when simple requests were not answered.

It's amazing how much more responsive they became when they saw we were serious about leaving. My take on that is if it took us to having a succession vote for PI to finally respond, then why would we even consider staying.

This is my .02

Posted on: 2012/10/15 1:58
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

PreWarGuy
See User information
Back in "the good old days" of P.I., when Fred and Carol Mauck were the ambassadors of the club, there was never an issue with P.I. Since the appointment of the new regime, the national (or "International") board has operated on their own agenda with no regard for the regions or their input. Since open elections are not held among the membership, this group has become firmly entrenched with little hope for change.

A larger issue is an "investment account" held by P.I. that contains over $200,000. Most members are unaware that this account even exists. A full accounting of this money is not included in the annual Operating Statement (which is not a complete year-end balance sheet) and some have asked whether loans have been made from this account and who on the board has access to the funds? No answer regarding this account has been offered by the P.I. board.

What has this to do with enjoying Packards? Very little. Other than the fact that the P.I. members deserve to know how their dues are being used. This is but one of several issues that pushed the Oregon region to leave P.I.

Following the Oregon Region's notice of dissolution, the P.I board sent a letter to the Region, revoking their charter (which has been held since 1974) and demanding that no mention of this controversy be made in any public forum (including PackardInfo.com) That the P.I. board deems itself more powerful than the U.S. Constitution and believes it can limit freedom of speech makes one wonder what they are so afraid of? An open dialogue is all that the Oregon Region ever wanted. P.I. felt otherwise.

It's all very strange.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 3:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"investment account" held by P.I. that contains over $200,000."

AND

"... revoking their charter (which has been held since 1974)..." (2012 - 1974 = 38 years).

ok. lets do a little arithmatic on this:
$200K/38 years = $5200/year. If average dues over 38 years = $15.00/year then that averages about 350 members for every year since 1974 including ALL members of every region.

So that mite answer where the $200K has come from???? Or did the $200K come from somewhere else?????

Of course it also begs the question as to how much money is in each REGIONS investment account. If such a Region Investment Acount exists then where does that money go to upon divorcement from the NAtional board???

Posted on: 2012/10/15 6:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I cancelled my local pi membership..not renewing pi also..fred and carol were great...pi has gone..ego..chosen few..staus is all the the packard is. Nothing written about repair..etc. Like was already said.

Posted on: 2012/10/16 14:33
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
..fred and carol were great...

Fred & Carol are STILL great, I spent some pleasant moments with them last week at Hershey where they share a flea market tent with Yesterday's Radio and have their usual wares for sale. Wonderful folks.

Posted on: 2012/10/16 18:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Indeed Dave, great and helpful people.

Posted on: 2012/10/16 20:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved