Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: straight 8 engine
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
read with interest your remarks concerning limiting rpm's on your '47 clipper...I have been wanting to have a RPM readout capability on my 48 custom8 club sedan but cannot locate a 6V tach....I'm assuming you've had success with a 12V tach ?? pardon my ignorance but how would that be hooked-up ? My '48 has a 4.06 rear end but with overdrive it reverts to a 2.92....at 70mph in overdrive my test tach shows 2300 rpm's...I would like to know what my engine is doing all the time...thanks

Posted on: 2012/10/14 19:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
6 volt tachs are still around. Several make them. Here is one company which has several different ranges listed under 6v gauges. If you use their search box on the site for 6 volt tachometer, an entire page of them comes up.http://www.westach.com/ I don't know the company but they mention use in classic cars and seem to have been around a long time. Maybe someone here has used their products.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 20:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
Thanks Howard....Westach had 5 or 6 suitable tachs at 3500rpms....hate to show my ignorance but some have different ranges (1 1/2 to 3 imp/rev) what does that represent ? does it matter...all seem to be pos. or neg. ground...?

Posted on: 2012/10/15 18:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the tech info page, go to applications guide, 6 volt section and it will give some choices for products and then once tachometer is selected, engines. You can select a tach model and go to the instructions page. Some schematics for several models are available. You can check to see if there is one for a model you like.

Here is a cut & paste of sections taken from a schematic they show as typical for an 8 cylinder -- 4 imp. The wiring is simple -- 2 wires, one to points and one to ground.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.54 KB)
209_507ca626baf07.jpg 212X520 px

Posted on: 2012/10/15 19:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
there is a devise called Tiny Tach - it's a digital read out cost about $50

Posted on: 2012/10/15 20:10
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That Tiny Tach is not a bad little unit. Inductive coupling and battery operated so no voltage worries. Only downside is the modern look (if that's important) and battery can't be replaced. Guess if the battery lasts the claimed 5 years, not much worry there.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 20:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
Thanks again to Howard and Phil...I have a lot to work on, greatly appreciated...Dick

Attach file:

jpg  (208.34 KB)
3678_507d7d6a8b39b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/10/16 10:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

custom8 wrote:
Thanks Howard....Westach had 5 or 6 suitable tachs at 3500rpms....hate to show my ignorance but some have different ranges (1 1/2 to 3 imp/rev) what does that represent ? does it matter...all seem to be pos. or neg. ground...?

I am taking a guess here, but believe the imp/rev means the number of impulses per revolution. A tach with 3 imp/rev would be for a 6-cylinder engine and one with 4 imp/rev would be for one with 8-cylinders. This guessing is based on four cycle engines fire all the cylinders in two revolutions of the crankshaft regardless of the number of cylinders. The tachs I am familiar with have three wires: Battery, distributor, and ground. Some have a fourth for an instrument light.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/16 11:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That is a lovely-looking 2255! Almost certainly the rarest of the Custom 8 body styles. If you haven't given them to me before, I'd love to have the VN, Briggs #, thief-proof number, and engine # if original to the car. PM them if you want to keep them confidential.

Posted on: 2012/10/16 12:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
HH56: I purchased the Westach 2CT34-6V 4imp/rev. and installed as directed....tested vehicle at 70 mph and dial showed 2800 rpms..I was disappointed as my previous test with an older Sundeen tach had shown 2300 rpms...I used all the formulas for computing RPM - Gear Ratio- MPH with known tire diameter...all showed that the rpms at 70 mph with 29" tire dia, to be 2368 rpms...which I find reasonable...How do I account for the misreading on the Westach (2800rpms)??? I purchased the one rated at 3500 rpms...the Custom8 is rated at 3600rpms...should I have purchased a 5000rpm indicator....I can't see how that would help...am I on the right track ???? when I computed the rpms at 2800, I found that the gear ratio would be 3:44 but the manual says its 2:92 in overdrive...can the Westach be adjusted, perhaps thats a question reserved for the Company...Dick

Posted on: 2012/11/3 11:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved