Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: brake system problem - 1955 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If clearing the debris from comp valve fixes the problem then it will most likely occur.again without notice.

Posted on: 2014/5/10 22:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
WauhopM

If it were me I would call the rebuilder and find out what's the first step in warranting the BTV. I would assume that you will need to send the unit back for testing and evaluating. It is better to call and see what can be done before going to another rebuilder with the unit. I would give them a chance and see what they are willing to do as they are very well known and reputable rebuilder.

The Bendix Treadle Vac unit has given hundreds of millions of miles of good service on GM, Ford, Packard, Hudson, Mercedes and other cars. The difficulty you are experiencing is dangerous indeed and could be caused by faulty workmanship or dirt and debris. So do keep us posted on your outcome.

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2014/5/12 15:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
In post #10 of this thread, PackardV8 wrote:

Quote:
When reinstalling valve BE.ABSOLUTELY SURE THE PEDAL IS FULLY UP!!!!!

WRONG!

If you do that, the stem projecting from the bottom of the compensator valve will rest BELOW the end of the washer end of the hydraulic plunger and will be snapped off the first time someone steps on the pedal. Without that stem, the compensator valve will not open to allow fluid to flow between the fluid reservoir and hydraulic chamber when the pedal is released.

Per the shop manual (Section IV, Brakes, p. 14), you must push in/down on the end of the push rod (and hold it there) to position the washer end of the plunger back into the hydraulic chamber, about 1/2", to clear the valve as it is installed.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
YES BH!!!! Thank u for the correction!!!!

Posted on: 2014/5/12 19:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Thanks for your advice the unit is allready on its way to white post-I paid $445 for the rebuild and since im not made of money and it has a lifetime warranty I might as well try this route.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 15:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved