Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 132

Mechagon, kevinpackard, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '56 Rear Stabiliser Bar
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
jp. .i know shipping costs, try summitt racing, or jegs in the usa,

i got my from one of them, for 5/8 shaft,,

Posted on: 2014/6/25 7:52
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks for that Riki. I measured the ID of the eyes on my spare bar and they're about 25mm or just under. So I contacted the maker of those cotton reel bushes to get their view about pressing them into a hole that size and was told yes, they are quite flexible and it will work. Just make sure they are well lubed and do not have a steel sleeve fitted while you're doing it. I was also told it is OK to cut them in half if preferred.

I don't know whether having a one piece bush will locate the arms more securely than two half bushes, but I'm thinking it might. In any event, I've first got to buy them and it seems likely they'll cost about $17/pair, so about $34 to do the bar completely with inners and outers. Once I buy them, all I have to do then is work up the enthusiasm to get started. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2014/6/25 22:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Oh, and I was forgetting the other two bushes (Packard # 445389) that are used on the pivot rod in the middle of the assembly bracket. I've checked the Steele catalogue and can't see them listed there and am wondering if these are available in polyurethane as well as the eyelet bushes. I am finding it difficult to get the dimensions of these bushes to check it out so if anybody has them I'd be most grateful. I have the dimensions for the 8 eyelet bushes. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2014/6/26 1:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
jp they look like mini load arm bushings, think i have spare to show you

got them from max, not cheap...check with kanter ,,if they have them in poly,

i ordered extra so i can make a mold for flexane 80 which my tl bushings are made out of .

Posted on: 2014/6/27 0:27
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (155.02 KB)
1220_53b61c47ba9a2.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2014/7/3 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Fellas, I've got an update on the polyurethane bush issue we were discussing awhile ago. I did a fair bit of research and came up with an option for the eyelet bushes, but nothing yet for the pivot bushes. I've now installed the poly bushes and refitted the bar and it all seemed to come together pretty well. The bushes I used are "cotton-reel" style (ie, one piece) but they are easily installed into the eyelets with the aid of a vice. They are made by Superpro (part #SPF2178-16K) in Aus, so I don't know if they're availale in the US.

The pics below show the bushes and some installed into the bar. The rubber bushes on the pivot were still in good condition so I reused them. If I can't find a poly alternative for them I might have to get some raw stock and try to make them.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.81 KB)
237_56246902c469c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (112.73 KB)
237_56246951b5657.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/10/18 22:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Hi John. Following our discussion a few months ago re this subject, I bought a set of the bushes you recommended. They worked exactly as you said... Much better than the rubber ones... Photo attached...
Warren

PS - will return the pinion yoke I borrowed soon... It worked great...

Attach file:

jpg  (34.11 KB)
940_5628c514d6363.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.99 KB)
940_5628c53ad7b72.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.49 KB)
940_5628c595878e7.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/10/22 6:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved