Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Thoughts on a 1940 160 coupe project ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

customclipper55 wrote:
Can anyone help out with descriptions and pictures and explain the differences between the models in the 1938-40 range. I looked at the model info links and owners registry and there is still confusion. I see " club coupe" cars that look to be touring sedans. The 160 refers to the hp? The 115 business coupe and the 120 are the wheel bases of the actual coupe cars either rumble seat or trunk style business coupe cars. Then i see 120 "club coupe" in a few cars in the registry which look like 2 door touring sedan rear. It is the length and shape of the trunk area which is in question.

I thought club coupe referred to a golf club storage door. Are there club coupe models in 2 door with a "touring sedan" style vertical trunk lid?

Club coupe, as far as I know, NEVER described a car with a golf club storage door, and I doubt one would be mistaken for a two-door touring sedan (a two-door touring sedan is basically the same body as a four-door touring sedan). I think the club coupe term began around 1938, and may have originally meant the car had fold down jump seats, but eventually most ... if not all ... club coupes had full-size rear seats. A club coupe WOULD NOT have a rumble seat.

Like anything, there are probably a few exceptions to the rule.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 11:56
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
A finished car, ready to win First Place awards at any show, would probably be valued around $40-50,000. As you imply above, though, it would obviously cost a lot more than that to get it to that condition. Even if you did all the work yourself, it would be hard to break even.... that is, if you were doing the work to flip it.I, too, would be interested in the car at around $15 knowing that I'd be doing all the re-assembly myself. I don't have the space right now, and don't have the money. For a car that you are buying in basket cases, it helps to have a similar car around (if not actually parked in the same garage) so that you can see what goes where, how it fits, etc.

Thanks for the confirmation. No, I've long-ago given up the idea of restoring cars then selling at a profit, because it just doesn't work. I'd love to have a '40 coupe, but the part I enjoy most is building engines, and that's already done.

If you know of anyone seriously looking for a project, have them PM me and I'll try to get some photos of the body.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/3 14:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Is it a club coupe or the even rarer business coupe? I think the business coupe would be the fastest production car as it is a little lighter. There was an outstanding 40 or 41 160 coupe for sale a bit ago - I think that defines the top of the market. Anyone recall what it went for?

Posted on: 2015/1/5 12:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
dealer was asking 70 k$ but I don't think it sold there

Posted on: 2015/1/5 14:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Is it a club coupe or the even rarer business coupe
?

So club coupe has a rear seat and business coupe would not?

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/5 14:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
For someone considering this, for me. A one year style, the hardest things have been the trim and molding parts. Unless you have a good friend like West, these parts are about impossible to find. Correct interior and exterior parts. Which reminds me, I need one small interior trim piece if anyone should have. It is a small curved square piece of metal with a small hole the middle, it is used to cover where leather piping comes together for the front chauffeur seat. Anyone got one in your old jar of spare parts?
Thanks

Posted on: 2015/1/5 15:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
business coupe - space for cargo behind seat, no passenger seat in back

Sport coupe - rumble seat. Not offered in 1940

club coupe - rear seating. If folding seats , sometimes called an opera coupe.

A "salesman's car" in the price range of a Packard 160 is an odd mix, so these are quite rare. Also the price leader of the model.

Posted on: 2015/1/5 15:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Now I'm checking the 1940 line up I come to realize that this 160 coupe is the only senior coupe; the 180 didn't offer a coupe at all!

Posted on: 2015/1/5 16:53
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
There was very little difference between 160 and 180 models in 1940.

Posted on: 2015/1/5 17:31
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
There was very little difference between 160 and 180 models in 1940.

Just for those of us who don't know, what were the differences between the 160 and 180 in 1940? I remember it was mostly in the trim and something about the color of the emblems, but that's about all.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/5 19:32
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved