Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 208

DM37, BigKev, pack36997, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Shudder when letting out clutch in 1st
Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
Thanks for the response. It certainly can't hurt to check the u-joint. In my situation, however, the shuddering disappears once the clutch is fully engaged and the car is rolling. If I carefully feather the clutch when letting it out, I can reduce the severity of the shuddering, but not eliminate it entirely.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 0:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I will give you a bit of my experience with my 1940 1808. This may or may not help you. Have had this car for over twenty years. Redid the clutch about ten years ago, rebuilt by a long time reputable clutch company in Los Angeles. Worked great for a few days, then would develop the symptoms you mention, exactly. Would pull the clutch out and bring it back to them, they would rebuild the pressure plate, and pads, every several months, same thing every time over the past ten years. Finally this past year, sent the clutch to Steve Messenger, and Don Figone, they stated that the clutch pads were of the new type and too hard. They had their man rebuild with a different (softer) pad material and pressure plate springs adjusting the pressure plate fingers to Packard specs. Before I sent them the clutch parts, I noticed that when the clutch was depressed just slightly one pressure plate finger had just a slight amount of play, I could move with my fingers, and the throw out bearing was not fully releasing, because of the excess wear was too loose, and able to spin by my fingers. So to make a long story longer, could be clutch pads, fingers not adjusted properly, or throw out bearing not fully releasing, thus causing a bit too much play and wear in the bearing. Have the clutch rebuilt by someone that knows, and check clearances.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 2:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
IF the Marcel Spring in the disk is missing or broken you will have chatter that will drive you crazy until you find it.
John

Posted on: 2015/1/9 14:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved