Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: AC parts list
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks Kev. Making them out of plastic is not a problem. It is a simple shape so the silicone mold and urethane product I'm using works very well. Aside from being or feeling plastic in a metal dash, that one in the photo would be a perfect working piece if I could chrome it or even paint it and make it look decently chromed to match the others.

Choices in DIY chroming plastic is limited. Eastwood has their " liquid chrome" kit but I haven't seen a piece or know of anyone who has used it personally and the few reviews don't look that promising. Caswell now has a couple of spray or dip on products they claim would coat plastic to make it conductive and suitable for plating. Problem is that is only the first step so would still need the rest of the process and that gets expensive for a one or two off. If the sand casting doesn't turn out decently, may go ahead and bite that bullet.

Made another plastic piece yesterday with the embossed lettering but as I expected, the font I have available was too small and narrow. It did emboss into the plastic though so believe the process will work. Need to get that font issue resolved before going much farther.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 13:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If letters are recesed into the knob then maybe someone that does engraving could do it faster and cheaaaper. Jewelers, gunshops just to name a couple. No idea what the price would bee.But since it is a small amount maybe not expensive..

Posted on: 2015/2/26 14:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's an idea Keith. I had that done years ago when I built one of my early copies of fact AC to add to a 56 Patrician. Needed to have the COLD position added and extend the line with arrow on the plastic label for the left air vent control knob. They used one of those rotary pantograph label or name plate making machines -- but it was hard to hold the curved piece. The machines don't seem to like odd shapes and engraved labels seem to be long out of favor now so finding one of those machines still working in Fresno might be an exercise.

Was on the phone a few minutes ago with a rubber type place. Was going to buy one of their font sets but after explaining what I was doing the lady said they could laser cut the labels I wanted for the knobs & they would be on small pieces of rubber. Wouldn't have to mess with individual letters and would be cheaper than buying the set. Have to give that some thought now because I could just make a new silicone mold with a recessed space for the label block and switch them out as needed.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 14:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Posted on: 2015/2/26 15:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved