Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: !956 Power window electric motor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know what kind of price range you are looking for but the vendor going rate is $200-300 for used motors. Kanterhttps://www.kanter.com/packard/pac-556.html#30 lists in group 30 and 31 used and tested front motors for $195 exchange and rears for $150 exchange. Not sure why difference or if one is a misprint because parts says it is the same motor. Max lists for $275 exchange but doesn't say if his are new or used. Also no indication if the orignal Delco or the Stude issued replacements.

The ones in the junk yard might be a good deal if they work. As we all know, those motors are not noted for ruggedness or longevity if used a lot. For the prices of the real item it might be worthwhile to find an alternative with the Ford or GM motors and make an adapter piece as needed. No idea how Hudson did the regulator portion but IMO, the Packard regulators -- particularly the HT rear quarter windows -- put the motors under a lot of stress.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 12:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Thanks, that is the "going" rate for original ones. The only difference is the removable mounting bracket. Large heavy window on the 2 door hardtops. Aftermarket ones are about that and more, but installing them is a whole different animal.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 12:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've been doing some research and took apart an old regulator (broken motor). I find the pinion on that motor is 6 tooth rather than the 9. Is this what you have on yours? So far the 6 tooth selection of replacement motors appears to be very limited but there may be possibilities.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 15:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Yes. mine has 6 tooth but looks like that could be replaced, as it just screws off.

Posted on: 2016/2/20 13:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I found a motor with the 6 pinion teeth and shape that looks like a maybe -- really hard to tell from photos. The pinion shape is very pointed on the original motor compared to later replacements. Mounting is different and the pinion depth is not the same but if the pinion will mesh then possibly there is hope to take care of the other issues. Not too bad pricewise so I'm going to order one and see what can be done. If for no other reason my 56 may need a motor some day and if something modern can't be adapted I'll at least have satisfied myself what won't work.

Posted on: 2016/2/20 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I have a couple Packard units. I have not rebuilt them yet. If interested PM me, can certainly do better than market prices.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 9:36
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Can't figure out how to PM here?

Posted on: 2016/2/29 13:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The way I do it is to be logged in and if the person you want to PM is in a recent thread click on the name and a small window containing his profile will open. At the bottom of the window is a PM button. If the person is not a recent poster it gets more complicated because you have to find his name. Others have the method down because I think there is a list somewhere but I have never looked for it.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"I think there is a list somewhere but I have never looked for it"

- Select Inbox in the User Menu(top left on any page).
- Click on the Send button(at the bottom of window that opens).
- Click on List(at top left of window that opens)
An alpha-numeric drop down User List then becomes accessible.
With currently over 30 pages of User Names available, for the 6098 current PackardInfo members, a little searching will find the User Name to select for your PM.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 17:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I've been watching this thread with interest as I have a set of stock motors and lifts from a 1956 Executive Sedan, which I bought some years ago to install into my 1956 Clipper Custom Sedan if and when I restore it. For the 6-tooth vs 9-tooth, why the difference or was it a mid-year change? I'm not sure which mine are as I never knew to look!

Posted on: 2016/3/3 21:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved