Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Matt's 39 Touring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Matt - Fedex shows wheel delivered. Careful not to trip over it... AOK?

Posted on: 2008/11/1 20:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
AOK it is! A quickie clean-up and it's ready to go, thanks Flackmaster!

Posted on: 2008/11/2 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Another way to open and close the radiator shutters, when the thermostat is non-operable, is to use a throttle/choke type cable. This should be a fairly easy job to install the cable. I used this method for a time in a 1939 Cadillac 60 Special. It worked well, but I had to remember to push the cable in to open the shutters when the engine got up to operating temperature. I eventually bit the bullet and bought a thermostat for it. The Cadillac did not allow for a conventional thermostat to be fitted like the Packard does.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 17:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Hi John, I actually did consider a manual cable type arrangemnt. It entailed drilling a couple holes over the bracket to mount on a piece of flat stock at the rod end. The position I have them in now seems to be working OK, we drove around the back roads this afternoon on some of my wife's errands. It is really running well, but I am waiting for that exhaust... I am curious however, how do you go about using a conventional type thermostat in lieu of the 200 dollar unit?
Matt

Posted on: 2008/11/3 17:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't have a 39 shop manual, but the 37-38 shop manual gives specific recommendations for the thermostat setup. In a nutshell it advises for best cold weather operation on cars with hot water heaters use a 162 degree cylinder head thermostat in combination with a 135-150 degree shutter stat, and to remove the cylinder head thermostat in the Spring. There is some other info as well, I suggest you read the shop manuals. If 39 isn't available, I'd guess the 1938 advice is applicable to 1939.

So Packard only recommended using the cylinder head thermostat when hot water heater operation was required; otherwise the Fulton Sylphon stat was meant to control engine temperatures.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
39pickle, sorry if my last post was confusing. I did not use a conventional thermostat. I bought a correct one that fit in the radiator top tank. It was expensive (about $150 at that time). I like things to be original and in working order, and while the cable worked my O-C personality took over. You have the option to use a conventional thermostat in the outlet housing, which is a good and economical fix.

Posted on: 2008/11/4 11:14
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Matt's 39 Touring
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Thanks John, I'm on top of those cooling issues now. It was a great day, put another 50 miles on 'er.

Attach file:

jpg  (159.95 KB)
1040_491756c328bf0.jpg 1280X888 px

Posted on: 2008/11/9 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
39pickle, driving them is what it is all about. We took the 1089 to the Veteran's Day Car Show in Bastrop, TX on Saturday. It was a 96 mile round trip. Part of the route was on a busy freeway with lots of on- and off-ramps. It was like flying a Piper Cub into LAX. The car worked fine and it was its first outing since the distributor self-destructed. It was a nice day and there were about 300 cars of all types exhibited. It was a well run event. Here is a photo of the car at the show.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.27 KB)
565_49185fabe5640.jpg 499X333 px

Posted on: 2008/11/10 11:22
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Two comments - first, I think someone should start a string for "Packard sightings" for photo's such as these, just out and about photos, not just professional calendar car portraits. And second, John, you'd better move your car soon, its in a no parking zone...

DF (my 1089 at a local airshow 2 weekends ago)

Attach file:

jpg  (86.03 KB)
439_4918822f978bb.jpg 1080X1085 px

Posted on: 2008/11/10 13:49
 Top  Print   

Matt's 39 Touring
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Hey, you guys are making my lowly original 1282 look bad! Seriously though, great looking cars gentlemen, I think a "random sighting" area is a great idea. I see these around once in a while.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 14:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved