Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Hate loosing hubcaps
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
To further this discussion, what is the difference between 1941/42 180 senior hubcaps for 16" rims, and the postwar senior hubcaps on 15" rims? I heard the hubcap is the same diameter, but the retaining rim may differ. Anyone know the difference there?

Posted on: 2015/9/26 7:26
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kasli
See User information
I changed the clips to a 1947 Clipper ones, which helped as they are a bit more in keeping in length

Posted on: 2015/9/26 11:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
99% sure they are 1" larger, but will have to get out the tape to make sure.

Posted on: 2015/9/26 15:42

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
There must be a difference in the diameter of the trim rings as well. My dad's car is a super 8 and I bought 3 replacement trim rings for it however I found... after polishing them... that their diameter was too wide for the rim.

Anybody want to buy some pretty nice and recently polished trim rings?

Posted on: 2015/9/28 19:41
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
There was a good article in the Cad-Lasalle club monthly a month ago about all the sources of losing hubcaps, including the radial vs bias myth, rim stock differences, etc. Unfortunately it's copyrighted.
My own take is, as you said, you hit a bad patch of road and whamo. Avoidance: #1 thing to do if you like your hubcaps!
That's what I remember how hubcaps flew off, because we used to hunt for them along the roads as kids and we had real bad roads after winter. They just came off back then and from all make cars.
The second best thing you can do is check your shock absorbers, springs, and suspension parts. They're what "cushions" those blows and limits/dampens travel and vibration when you hit a hole. Too stiff, mushy, or loose isn't good. If it "shudders" when you hit something it's not right.
I lost two before I ever got my car! They were in the trunk, but didn't show up on arrival??? I can also attest that 4 of 5 clips on the rim won't hold one on a decent road. I lost one in my own neighborhood test driving. It disappeared rapidly(kids or maybe some dog used it for a dish???) before I recognized it was gone, so you're lucky to have seen yours.
Perhaps a request how to fix damaged hubcaps is in order? These have a SS skin and a steel inner if I recall.
Some people use different sorts of techniques to keep them on as well, like strip magnets, velcro, wires, putty, etc. but have no recommendations there.
You can get new clips as well. I'd not trust oldies to have much spring and bending won't improve temper. According to the parts list, there were clip and non-clip rims vs the correct hubcap P/N. It's not real clear what cap goes with what P/N, but you can peruse the photos/sales info. My deluxe does not have the red center for instance.

Posted on: 2015/9/29 15:55
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jameson
See User information
I lost the same hubcap four separate times over the course of a week, thanks to our smooth-as-glass (snicker) roads here that are still full of potholes after a very mild winter. The service letter from 1948 described bending the tabs holding the hubcaps on and after I followed the instructions, no more lost caps! Went to a local hardware store and bought a length of 3/8 metal dowel (ended up using a two-inch piece) and placed it in the curve of the clip, then hammered the end with a punch and hammer to where it rested no more than 1/8th inch away from the wheel rim....mine were almost a half-inch bent the wrong way. I will warn you that the caps can be almost impossible to mount back onto the wheel when all the clips are where they should be, but it's way better than losing a very expensive Super 8 hubcap. I try to take them on and off as little as possible, but our bad roads and streets are no match for these wheels now. Avoidance of potholes is still the best insurance but you can't slalom down the street in a '47 Packard very well, and you're going to hit one eventually. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2016/5/20 21:18
1947 Custom Supper Clipper 2106
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved