Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 82

Miguel Gallego, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Rear Pinion Crush Spacer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
It really doesn't matter which lock nut you have. In my experience once they have been on and off a few times they change in the effort required to tighten. Also normally only one wheel, with the least resistance will turn. It will also take more than the 2 ft/lbs to turn the pinion as there are now other bearings and seals involved. The crush washer may also be different than the factory setting if attempts have been made to overtighten the nut.
At this stage you should back off the lock nut and retighten until you can only just move the pinion in and out of mesh a few thou by hand ( you will probably be able to discern about 20 thou). I would then measure the amount of torque required to rotate an axle. I would then tighten the nut a quarter turn at a time and remeasure the torque to turn the axle. As soon as the torque required to turn the axle increases by 2 ft lbs. I would leave it at that as you should be touching the crush washer. Normally you should have about 1.5 threads showing proud of the locknut, although if the crush washer has had a hard time, there may be another thread or so showing.

Is that any clearer? PT

Posted on: 2015/9/29 17:15
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Super clear...THANKS Peter...big help

Posted on: 2015/9/30 18:48
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Concerning the pinion seal replacement procedure; I know the standard procedure is to pre-mark the clocking position of every component that is going to be removed, and upon seal renewal, reassemble with the goal of restoring the clocking positions, especially the nut to pinion shaft relationship. Apparently I have a long lost brother in Australia that has just introduced the idea of monitoring the axial play of the pinion and become fully awake when that axial play approaches zero. As with the standard procedure, Peter suggests a check of the torque required to rotate the pinion as a segregate for pinion bearing pre-load.
Now for the assumptions that I have made about automotive differential design. I see the crush collar as a rather unique spring that is intended to be plastically deformed during assembly, but that collar should have some amount of 'spring-back' when the load is removed. If the axial motion of the pinion is monitored during disassembly there should be some initial nut removal rotation that has no effect on the axial play of the pinion. After the collar spring-back has concluded a relationship between the nut rotation and axial play should be quite predicable by the pitch of the thread.
My '48 has a leaking pinion seal that may need replacement, however the leak is far less with the car being used regularly so I may not need to rush on that task. After reading this posting, my plan is now to use the standard procedure of marking the clocking position of everything in sight, measure the pinion torque prior to disassembly, and then try my hand at monitoring the spring back of the collar. Upon reassembly I suspect all of the stars should realign. I'll post my results if I have any new information to add to the collective experience.

Posted on: 2015/10/6 11:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved