Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 108

37Blanche, Trevor, JD in KC, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 23 series windshield wiper assembly?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
After looking at your photos, it appears these 2 may not be Packard. Who knows? Guess I need to test them to see if they work or not. The electrical system in this car has been so pieced together and I have had lots of problems. Hopefully this new harness will help.
Thanks for your input.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 21:11
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is very possible Packard changed switch vendors so just because they look different from the early style doesn't mean they are not correct. BDeB mentioned seeing some of the wheel style switches for sale on ebay. I had never seen them before but that doesn't mean much.

I was curious if the round wheel like resistors could be found. Ones with holes are called washer resistors and solid center are disc resistors. No idea when this style started to be used but apparently they are quite common in high power applications today.

A blower motor isn't really high power but it does produce a fair amount of heat in the resistor and this type does have a lot of surface area to handle the heat generated. Depending on air flow they can dIssipate that heat fairly quickly.

Most of the resistors are ceramic based and mixed with other compounds rather than carbon and was probably the same then. Might be the reason you thought it appeared to be a metal of some type. Hopefully yours are good. Finding one or two at retail does seem to be a problem but if you want a few thousand, several places will sell them. This is what todays version available from one mfg looks like..

Attach file:

jpg  (12.68 KB)
209_56a6f6be68748.jpg 354X270 px

Posted on: 2016/1/25 21:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Very interesting Howard, thanks for the research. Mine appear in good shape it just the phenolic material on the sides that look burnt or even water damaged. I will contact McMaster-Carr for prices and how to cut the phenolic (not sure if scissors would be good or not).

Posted on: 2016/1/26 13:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not actually sure what the original support material was or how much of it you actually need but this is modern material that should work. 6x6 inch sheet of 1/8 thick material rated to 335 degrees.http://www.mcmaster.com/#8710k537/=10uowjp

If you need a different size or thickness you can find them on the high temperature Garolite page. The Ultra high temp stuff is good for another 90 degrees and also available but considerably more expensive. No idea how hot those resistors get compared to ordinary resistance wire. As you can see in one of the photos BDeB posted, for the most part the resistance wire items were supported on paper based phenolic materials. They do have a lot of air circulation though.

I've used various forms of Garolite and just cut it with my bandsaw or jigsaw. It is somewhat abrasive but does work with ordinary steel tooling. For a lot of machining or drilling then cobalt drills or carbide tooling more commonly used for hard metals is recommended.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 13:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Here is an update

Took Howard's advice contacted McMaster-Carr, ordered a 1 /16th inch sheet of Garolite or phenolic (Really fast shipping by the way). I made a template out of cardboard from the best piece of paper insulation (lack of a better name)piece then traced the template on to the garolite piece.
Using a Dremel with a diamond bit I was able to cut all four pieces. Of course using a sanding stone I rounded the edges.

Not the prettiest girls at the ball, but they look like they should do the trick. The last pictures shows the inst. cluster ready to be installed and wired (Or vice versa)

Thanks again Howard! Thanks to Big Kev for keeping this site up and running!

Here are some pictures for the files in the event someone has the same type of switches.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.32 KB)
67700_56aade4ce7e46.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (84.08 KB)
67700_56aade6430253.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (79.41 KB)
67700_56aade76a2832.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (77.20 KB)
67700_56aade931a507.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (80.87 KB)
67700_56aadeaed7d1f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (83.02 KB)
67700_56aadec3bd8c4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/1/28 22:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nice. Did you happen to test the switches?

I am curious how hot those washer resistors get. The way the old support material was burned they must get warm but wonder if they get as hot as the wire type. The wire elements have a metal cover to keep other wires from getting too close which also makes a kind of chimney to direct cooling air thru the element. The washer resistors don't seem to have anything -- or, it would appear not as much air circulation either -- so must be quite a bit cooler.

Posted on: 2016/1/29 11:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Also note that the 3 position switch with the resistor was only used for the heater blower. The switch for the electromatic clutch is just an on-off type with 2 terminals.

Posted on: 2016/1/29 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Love that Pica ruler, Deskdriver.

Posted on: 2016/1/29 17:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved