Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 107

37Blanche, Trevor, JD in KC, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Buyer's advice requested: 1952 200 Deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bob,

Being the same car, looks pretty decent from the photos in the ad. Paint and interior look good which can be major costs, so presuming it's not rusty, definitely seems worth pursuing. I do wonder though when the seller says it's an automatic and it has a clutch pedal! When the owner provides the VN info or when you see it in person be sure to verify what it is here. If everything checks out OK and seeing you're prepared to get your hands dirty I'd say go for it! Easy for me to say seeing I'm 10,000 miles away!

Posted on: 2016/3/1 23:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Bob

"Well that was a lot less of an enthusiastic response than I had expected. But I appreciate the honest feedback and advice from those that know."

Well, that's how we are here unlike other on-line old car forums, enthusiastic but tempered with realism in our approach to the cars and how and what one hopes to get from Packard ownership. Keeps our eyes open and our outlook realistic. Welcome to the Forum!

To the car in question, look like a good candidate once you thoroughly inspected it to determine it isn't just dolled-up but genuinely a good car. Looking at the edges, meaning those areas that get ignored when improving the appearance is an indication what the car was before paint, etc. Remember, as my neighbor's dad use to tell his wife "Powder and paint make ya what ya ain't". Applies to cars too.

The 1951-52 200 and 200 Deluxe were the highest production entry-level models, of which this car is one. The differences between these and the 300 and Patrician 400 are easy to identify as the latter have longer wheelbase, are different from the B-pillar rearward. As tough, durable cars, they have a relatively high survival rate. Does not make them an investment vehicle, no pun intended, but great for old car learning, touring and general enjoyment at a reasonable price which is the real reason to buy a collector car.

Please keep us apprised of what you discover about this car and your pursuit and purchase of a Packard. Again, Welcome!

Steve

Posted on: 2016/3/2 9:03
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I have a perhaps oversimplified approach from the photos - would you enjoy this car without significant cosmetic upgrades (paint, interior, chrome)? If so, you are looking at mechanical only and it could be viable.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 11:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Look at my blog. Essentially the same car as your. You can see where I started from, and where I brought it by willing to invest a significant amout of sweat equity.

If your looking to buy as an investment, probably not the best option. If you looking to buy to have a car that is just as driveable as a modern car, and has a lot of parts availability, and learn to work on it in the process, then it's a great car.

For $4500, I would expect it to be fully mechanically sound. Drives, stops, steers without any major problems. If not, find I think the price is too high.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 11:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Bob,
ball park figures for the following: "Good upholstery" headliner, door panels, front and rear seats. etc., not necessarily factory restoration 2 to 4 Thousand.

Chrome: 5 to 6 thousand.

Not top of the line, just so-so paint job from paint shop 3 to 5 thousand depending on any body work it could be a lot more.

and if you need trans work or main engine work......the sky could be the limit.

So, do not underestimate your situation and be clear as to exactly what you want to do, because one thing most times leads to another. I would recommend that whatever you buy, the car should.... start, move, steer, brake, with no body rust, like rocker panels, door bottoms, rear dog legs, back of car below the trunk lid and just forward of the rear bumper, bottom of trunk and wheel well for spare as well as the floor pans. Hope this helps.
Steve....

Posted on: 2016/3/2 14:38
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I always thought that was where the old car hobby went wrong, when people started buy them for an investment. Instead of an enjoyment.....
John

Posted on: 2016/3/2 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I think it's good to know when you are putting more in a car than you can get back, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to do so anyway.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Guys,
Thank you for all your information and advice. It was very helpful to me. Unfortunately, the owner sold the car yesterday before I had a chance to go check it out.

I really like the Packards so I am going to keep looking for other 50's models that are a good value, esp in the Houston area

thank you again for your time,
-Bob

Posted on: 2016/3/3 11:30
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
as you may know, the big change is 51-54 vs 55-56. The 55-56 is in fact a very clever facelift of the old body. The mechanicals change from L head straight eight to OHV V8 in 55

Posted on: 2016/3/3 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Bob, get in contact with the local Packard club in Houston. It is the Lone Star Packard athttp://www.lonestarpackards.com

There is a meeting coming up soon with the Houston, DFW and San Antonio/Austin clubs joining up in Kerrville. The meet used to always be held in Salado, but the hotel there is undergoing renovations. It will be on April 1 - April 3, 2016 - Texas Packard Meet, Kerrvile, Texas - Information and Entry Form athttp://www.texaspackardmeet.com/

You should really make an effort to go, to get a chance to talk to the local guys and gals about the pros and cons of Packard ownership. Plus the best place to buy a Packard is from a private owner who is involved in the club.

I used to attend the Salado, meet, but it is bit of a drive from Montana instead of Dallas.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2016/3/3 22:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved