Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 64

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Power Antenna
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe worth a try. I believe ours are Casco which is probably a well obsolete brand by now. Believe Stude used Pioneers on the 57 rears but no idea if Packard used them too or how much difference there might be.

As Leeedy mentioned, the finish on the mast ends is an identifying characteristic and most modern masts don't bother with those niceties. Since automatic car washes came into prominence almost all antennas that move use smooth telescoping tubes that retract almost, if not fully down into the fender.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 15:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Has anyone tried calling these guys and seen if they have a replacement mast that may work??

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/

They many makes and models on their website, and they say they carry others that are not listed. Worth a shot.

There was a fellow in Illinois back in the 1980s who was supplying repopped Packard V-8 front and rear antenna masts... and they were accurate masts. No idea what ever happened to the biz, but he had a very nice-looking product. If I recall the name was "Antenna Masters" or some similar clever name.

As I recall they ran ads in Hemmings and in Packard Club publications. Guess I'm showing my age here, but it just seems like yesterday, despite this being 2016.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 20:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Lots wish he was still around but he gave up the business years ago. I think he was in school and the business was a side. Finally got his degree and then gave the sideline up. Someone said he sold what stock he had but no one today seems to know who might have bought it. IIRC the same or maybe a similar business was restarted for a short time by someone else and then quit again. Don't believe any masts were mfg after that so whatever stock there was is probably all long gone by now.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 20:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
thank you for your help and actually this is what I was looking for. I should get my new mast in the next day or so and from what I understand it is a original one. I know they are rare and maybe I just lucked out... will let you know when I get it!
Now I have a simple question.... is there a arrester that stops the motor when the antenna is fully extended and/or retracted. It seem to me when I extended the mast, while out of the care, using my battery terminals for power the motor seem to be running even after the mast was fully out. Needless to say I disconnected before burning up the motor.
Just like to know how it works when it is on the car.
Thanks again for the help so far..... this is an awesome site to get information and has helped me a lot in the past.
Walter

Posted on: 2016/3/30 18:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is nothing to stop the motor in either direction. On the front antennas with the flat nylon, if the antenna mast jammed in the middle or stopped at an end and the motor was kept going it would burn or wear a half moon shape in the edges of the flat cable. The next time the antenna was moved, if that worn spot happened to hit just right the antenna would stop moving at that location.

The round nylon on the rears don't seem to be quite as prone to problems -- probably because there is a large surface area on the drive reel grabbing the nylon instead of the tiny area on the brass wheels of the front antenna just pressing against the edges of nylon.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 18:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
the guy was in Indiana near Indy and was called "Tenna Masters" He had two 1955 Caribbeans for sale in about 1998 when i visited his shop. One was rusty and one was rust free but burned and a factory a/c car. He had some 1953 Caribbean parts also including a pair of full quarter panels taken off of a wrecked car in the early 1960's

Posted on: 2016/3/30 23:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Remember that these old power antennas were not automatic, just power. In newer cars with automatic power antennas there were usually limit switches or tension switches or other automatic electronic means of starting and stopping the antenna motor when the radio is turned on/off.

In Packards, you had to operate the switch to go up or down. So there was no need to stop or start the motor inside the antenna assembly as in newer cars. So of course, if you hook power to the motor, it will continue to run.

Of course, if the antenna motor(s) continues to run after releasing the switch... the culprit is more likely a sticking switch and not the antenna assembly.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
This shows the repairs of a 1951 antenna

Attach file:

jpg  (152.51 KB)
1052_56ff0a039e8c5.jpg 1007X1280 px

jpg  (191.32 KB)
1052_56ff0a1d904d5.jpg 1007X1280 px

jpg  (234.68 KB)
1052_56ff0a384b76e.jpg 1007X1280 px

jpg  (151.37 KB)
1052_56ff0a63e4a0f.jpg 1007X1280 px

jpg  (163.38 KB)
1052_56ff0a7cb281b.jpg 1007X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/4/1 18:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved