Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 75

Alvin14, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: engine question
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
"Seems (to them atleast) that it was a smaller engine, 5 main bearing 327. I called Kantor and they said the two blocks were different in length (makes sense) and that the 356 was about 3/4" longer. We measured the block and found it was the longer 356 but the serial number still indicated smaller engine. Hmmmm....Engine is now out for rebuild at different shop but you might call Kantor for the length comparison of the series"

Nobody here recalls that call and all of us in the Packard dept know that all 48-54 straight 8's are the same length and take the same head gasket. A minor difference in the overall length of the block does not determine which engine it is.

Posted on: 2016/7/20 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Possible confusion in that the engine is in a 47 (not 48)Packard 2126. I posted to offer that numbers do get misstamped occasionally. The engine guy at the shop the car 'was' in tracked down on internet site the serial number stamped on the block to indicate. He was adamant that the engine was not the 356 9 main bearing engine. My call to your department almost two years ago was helpful in confirming the 356 9 main designation by giving the length of block/head. The mechanic and I measured it and determined the engine was,in fact, the 9 main 356. All parts ever ordered (since 1957 when it came into our family) for the car were for the 356 so I was sure it was 9m 356. The serial number cast did match the smaller engine series numbers.
You guys are great up there in Booneton but would not expect anyone to recall every phone call that comes in especially one and half to two years ago. You did help resolve the problem/question. For everyone's clarification, I will get the number off the block. it is presently off to a machine/engine shop for rebuild and waiting for them to give me the specs needed on ordering pistons/rings/bearings etc.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 11:42
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
As I said, measuring the length of the block/head will determine if it is a 35-47 120 series engine or a 40-54 288/327/356/359 engine. The later engines are all the same length and all take the same head gasket. The 288 and some 327's are 5 main, other 327's are 9 main as are all 356 and 359's.

All of these engines can be installed in all 8 cyl 40-54 Packards, if in a car that had a 288 it will take some mods.

The number cast into an engine block may indicate numerous years. The only way to accurately identify an engine is by the engine serial number which is on a pad just below the head and above the starter.

In 56 years we've never seen/heard of an incorrect casting n umber as they are part of the mold, nor have we heard of an incorrect serial number. Those stories are rumors in my estimation, sometimes to "justify" a wrong engine in a car.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 13:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved