Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

John Iaccino, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Cut off switch for 6v positive ground?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember if your car has the fabric wire or the more modern plastic insulation. I don't recall seeing any place that just sells a foot or two. Ebay vendors are a good source for small quantities but still most comes on spools or rolls. Wiring loom places sell the fabric type in various colors, patterns and sizes but they usually have a 10' minimum per color. I've bought from Rhode Island Wiring and other colors from Y&Z Yesterdays Parts. Y&Z has a minimum $ requirement.

The modern plastic is best from the local parts store but their colors are limited. If it has a tracer or pattern some of those are custom made and may be hard to find retail.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 15:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
At the head lights I have the cloth but the supply wires to the head light junction block are coated like a normal wire.

10' feet of each is fine but I guess more of my question is wire insulation? Does 6 volt have a different insulation?
Wether it's thickness or cca, PVC coated I believe 12v can get away with that 6v can not.

I'd love to get her started safely before I do another extended stay in the heart hospital.
I maybe over thinking it but, would like to have no melt downs.

And thank you all for the advice!!!😁

Posted on: 2016/10/16 15:55
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Both Rhode Islandhttp://www.riwire.com and Y&Zhttp://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com carry the proper automotive grade plastic wire in numerous colors. Believe both are 10' minimum per color and RI may have the greater assortment. Don't know if RI has a $$ minimum but Y&Z does. RI does not have an online store so you have to write down what you want and call them.

Go to RI's supplies section and the wire is at the bottom of list. At Y&Z check out the online store.

You can download the 54 wiring diagram from the literature sectionhttp://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/wirediagrams/1954%2054th%20Series%20.pdf and it is one of the fortunate few where Packard provided a color and wire gauge list along with the diagram.

I believe the rule of thumb is 6v items have about twice as many amps draw as 12v so wire size on 6v is generally one size larger than used on 12v.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 16:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
This is what I've did today.

Attach file:

jpg  (189.93 KB)
2823_5803f8bb699f8.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/10/16 17:01
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Thank you Howard I will check them out tomorrow and yes I have downloaded the wire diagram along with the size chart.
I printed them out and have them taped to the inside windshield facing outward.
It is a great reference chart to be able to pull up but, wires have changed since.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 17:09
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
I have bought heavy duty quick disconnect battery terminals from NAPA for my 6- and 12-volt cars. This is a heavy duty terminal, not the light duty that is typical of the "Green Knob" types. One part of the terminal clamps onto a battery post and the other clamps on the cable. I have had no problems using these terminals.

I install the terminals on the ground side. I use the terminals for safety not security as they not hidden like a switch used for security. Also, all my batteries are easily accessible and not under the seat like the pre-war cars.

I always disconnect the batteries when the cars are parked to avoid electrical fires.

(o[]o)

Thank you JW
I will look into Napa in the morning..

Posted on: 2016/10/16 21:58
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I have used the Wirth blade type for several seasons now, on the grounded terminal. I got it from Amazon, about $25. It's not a problem to use since I pop the hood everytime to hook up the Battery Tender. This way battery is charged everytime and disconnected to avoid electrical fire. I have an attached garage.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 7:38
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
This subject has been introduced on the forum before under the name Battery Disconnect:http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=15770&forum=1

As an electrical engineer having worked in the automotive industry on 6, 12, 24 and 48 volt DC electrical architectures, I suggest to always insert a disconnect switch or solid state device on the ground side of the battery supply circuit, regardless of whether Positive or Negative ground.

The primary reason for this is safety in that once shut off, any accidental contact between either post and the car frame or any other voltage ground reference will not result in high current.

This method occasionally meets with challenge since almost all other switches in a car or any other transportation system are done on the hot side, but remember, this is simply done in order that individual functions can be turned on or off without turning others on and off. This is not the case for a battery shutoff in which case you want both safety and vehicle security.

Further, I recommend a switch with the highest current rating you can find. Otherwise, you will have a voltage drop that will affect starter speed and possibly, the ability to deliver maxium voltage during battery charging from the regulator. Yep, it will cost more, but the cheap ones available everywhere are cheap and everywhere for a reason.

The one shown in photos of my car in the other thread is from Flaming River. 15 years of use with no issue while still delivering fast start current.
Hope this helps.
Pat

Posted on: 2016/10/18 10:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Thank you Pat I will look.

Although I did order from Napa the Cole Hersee. 2484-06 that has the rubber O rings for weather resistant as shown in the chart, but looking back at the chart now I noticed it will have silver contacts instead of brass or copper.
It does say it will still pass the same amperage through it.
I pick it up tomorrow.

Posted on: 2016/11/9 20:04
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Silver is actually plated over the other metal but is considered a premium contact material. It is an excellent conductor and the plating over copper or brass has better thermal efficiency than the bare base metal. The plated contact is less likely to oxidize and increase resistance.

Posted on: 2016/11/9 20:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved