Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: How to replace the bulb on the dome light, 1953/1954
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
This is a picture of my ignition switch. Over on the left hand side of the car to the left of the headlight and power antenna switches.

My feeling is that my car, a Cavalier, doesn't have this feature (ignition switch lamp).

Thanks,

Jerome

Attach file:

jpg  (132.90 KB)
148538_59152b323a402.jpg 1152X2048 px

Posted on: 2017/5/11 22:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The same switch was used on all models from the 23rd 49 models thru 53. The bulb & socket fits in a hole in a bracket which is part of the switch and shines into a narrow opening to illuminate the white looking plastic ring you see between the chrome bezel and the lock cylinder. It is on only when the headlight switch is in the first or parking light position. Don't have a 53 RPO sheet but don't see it listed as being optional or part of a deluxe kit on 51 or 52 models.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.84 KB)
209_591539c4107b0.jpg 1085X634 px

Posted on: 2017/5/11 22:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Thanks I will check that out. Probably first thing to do is to clean the headlight switch itself.

I would also like to get the radio to work. From what I can tell that can be quite a chore. I guess I will find out.

Posted on: 2017/5/12 0:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
The lightbulb for the ignition switch is on the same circuit as the dashboard lights, so if they work, then the headlight switch is ok. This goes for the ignition switch light, not the courtesy lights.
I also fixed this after many years of not having this light work in my 53 clipper. It works now, but it is really not very exciting having it light up. I bet your cavalier which is a higher model than my clipper has the light. I bet the bulb is just burnt out.

Posted on: 2017/5/12 6:13
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The lightbulb for the ignition switch is on the same circuit as the dashboard lights, so if they work, then the headlight switch is ok.

Tobs, I don't know if your car is different for European standards but originally the ign light was wired in parallel with the park lights and was fed from the park light terminal of the headlight switch. With that wiring, it is only on if you pull the headlight switch to the first position. When the headlight switch reaches the second or headlight position, in the US cars the park lights would go out and so would the ign key light. The dash lights are fed from the tail light terminal of the headlight switch and are on in both positions.

Posted on: 2017/5/12 8:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Thanks for that last bit of info, HH65.

So if I pull the headligh switch out one click, so that the parking lights are on, the ignition switch lamp DOES TURN ON. Yay! - It's just such a small insignificant light that I never noticed it before. In fact I am not sure I ever just turned the parking lights on before and looked.

So now the only mystery is why the courtesy lights don't turn on except when i open the door, which is as I understand it probably an issue with the headlight switch.

(And of course I still have to deal with the radio).

Thanks everyone!

Posted on: 2017/5/12 18:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check your headlight switch and refer to the photo on the first page of this thread, post #10. The courtesy light switch terminal is on the ceramic section at the far right in the photo. If the lights work with the door and there is a wire on the terminal the problem is in the switch.

If the fuse to the radio is good another frequent problem is the vibrator. When you turn it on the dial should light up if the fuse is good and you should hear the buzzing sound. If no buzz then the vibrator has probably failed. Vibrators for the 6v Packard radios are hard to find so one of the radio shops who work on the old models will probably have to install a solid state replacement. If you have the buzz and nothing happens after 30-45 seconds then it could be a tube or the antenna or lead could be disconnected or be grounded. If you have a rear seat speaker, on occasion the wire has gotten pulled between the fader switch and radio so the speakers become disconnected.

Posted on: 2017/5/12 19:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Howard, you're right. The ignition switch light is connected to the parking light circuit, not the dash light circuit. I just looked at the wiring diagram.
I may have changed it on my car when I made my wiring harness, I forget.

Posted on: 2017/5/13 5:33
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Wow, just learned there is a light in the ignition switch! The best part is that mine works!

My coutesy light under dash works with front doors. I don't see anything for the rear doors on my 53 Clipper except pillar switch. Is that correct? Steve

Posted on: 2017/5/13 9:40
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
On my Cavalier the dome light turns on both from when you open the rear doors, from the switches in the doorway, and the switch on the left-side B-pillar.

I was able to make the rear door switches work again just from pushing them in and out and rotating them some, just like I was able to make the dome light bulb work again by moving it for and aft and rotating it in the socket.

Posted on: 2017/5/13 12:06
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved