Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Having a bummer day..... (crankshaft)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Fred,

Over the years, we've had the running discussion about the oil pump dip tube modification, the oil pump pressure relief modification, the cam retainer plate and spacer modification and the rocker arm modification.

What has never been proved is how these relate to the vacuum pump, the lifter clicking and which relate to the main bearing problems.

The one thing which is certain is it is common to find Packard V8s which had problems requiring the crankshaft mains to be turned .010" or .020" undersize, while retaining the standard rod bearings.

It is also common upon teardown of core engines to find the center #3 main totally trashed and #2 and #4 worn into the copper.

Of course, the problem is documenting how the engine was operated and maintained before becoming a core for rebuild. These were often orphan cars, sold cheap to large families and used until the transmission failed. Burning regular grade fuel, no oil changes, no tune-ups, all exacerbate failure modes.

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/7/17 10:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Perhaps the reason we never experienced bearing failure problems is both Dan and I have small families affording us time and money to change our oil every 3000 miles, afford premium gas and quality oil.

Thanks for you endless contributions

Posted on: 2017/7/17 10:59
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Muir
See User information
Thanks for all your cheering up guys - I do find it a bit disheartening when everyone you know has fords and chevy's with the odd mopar thrown in, and there's me with this really strange make car ("Packard? Who made that?" or my favourite: "Packard? but you're still going to get a real car aren't you?") with some oddball motor. Sometimes do wonder if it'd be easier to just join the sheep...

Anyway, thought I'd put a lovely piccy up

My brother is off to have a check on the 352 I mentioned earlier - out of a one owner 55 Pat, very rusty car but being one owner may have possibly been better taken care of.

Fingers crossed....

Attach file:

jpg  (209.69 KB)
4807_596da2938f27b.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/7/18 0:54
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Muir
See User information
WOOHOO!

The crank out of the 352 is apparently a goodie. The copper has wiped off the bearings but on the mains and rods the crank has about .002 wear so I'm feeling pretty jolly happy at the mo'

Posted on: 2017/7/22 4:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Muir,

Do your 352 with reground crank a benefit and buy the Olds oil pump conversion kit from Jack Vines who's selling them now. Between Jack & I there are probably on the order of 2 hundred satisfied Packard V-8 owners.

I'm not going to get into a discussion/argument of the original pump vs the Olds as that has been hashed over innumerable times on this forum. Here's some pages on my website explaining it. The full flow filter conversion is not normally required.

http://1956packardpanther.com/PV8C/PV8C_OHVOPA.html

Craig

Posted on: 2017/7/22 9:22
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Muir Glad you found a good crank. We'll expect news of your progress as you reassemble and get it on the road.

Posted on: 2017/7/22 11:50
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Muir
See User information
Hi Guys,

Yes it's been a while: a) I'm no mechanic, b) the car was miles away c) it was a work on once in a while but....

It goes!

Main reason for this is that I can't speak highly enough of Jack Vines oil pump kit, not only does it work brilliantly, and it's so reassuring that you can leave home, go somewhere, and the engine doesn't sound like a whole lot of screws in a blender. But really, really impressed was the way the kit installed: for something that is an add on, it fit beautifully - bolt in effort, no fettling etc.

I'm a really, really happy Packard owner now :)

Muir

Posted on: 2017/10/15 23:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Muir,

Thanks for the update and glad to know you're running down the road with no worries.

The Oldsmobile oil pump conversion kit is the work of several here, past and present. I'm just making them available as a contribution to the Packard V8 legacy.

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/10/16 11:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved