Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

Greg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Series 23 Stalling
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I had a very similar issue with my '52 when I first got it. The darn ting would stall about 1/2 mile from my garage and would need to sit for about 10 minutes before it would restart. Same intersection everytime. It got to be quite a joke for my wife, not as funny to me.
I was convinced it was fuel related.
It ultimately turned out to be related to the accerater pump in the carb.
When this next happens and it won't start, immediately prime it with some gas down the carb and see if it starts. It shouldn't take much.
For some reason mine was not delivering fuel once I drove only a short distance, but seemed OK if it got past the initial few minutes of driving. Very frustrating until we found the issue.

Posted on: 2018/10/30 15:28
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

shore72
See User information
I've been away from the car (and this forum) for a few weeks as the dear Mrs. very, very much wanted me working on some other projects besides the Packard. Well, tonight I had time to do some work. I pulled the top off the carb and here is what I found:
1) It was bone dry.
2) It looked terrible; lots of old "dust" in the bottom of the bowl, a dried up looking seal (I think on the accelerator pump? I'm not that smart when it comes to carbs).
3) The float appeared adjusted to specs. I dropped it down a bit and put things back together. As always, the car started quick (even with that dry bowl) but was loading up something awful. I took it apart a couple times and tried lighter adjustments but it's still too much. I didn't try a test drive.

At this point I think I need a rebuild, regardless if that fixes the problem. As much as I enjoy doing things myself I think I'm going to find an expert. I do like the idea of changing the hose; it's the kind of problem that I remember reading about in old magazine articles.

Posted on: 2018/10/30 21:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I got these symptoms with a 76 Oldsmobile. Problem was a pre-fuel filter in the tank.
Packard only had a fuel pickup. If you can, drain the fuel tank. Leave the drain plug out and then pour some fresh fuel in and see what it looks like when it comes out. This will tell you if there's gunk in your tank. Unfortunately, the drain plug often fuses with the fuel tank and it will never come out. On my current Packard, I had to remove the fuel tank and I turned it upside down to empty it. Then I put some fresh gas in it and swirled it around and then emptied it again. Everything came out clean so I knew it wasn't gunk in my tank.

Posted on: 2018/10/31 22:35
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

NDPacMan
See User information
Correcting my "no fuel" stall problem. Found that the gas pickup tube in the tank cracked or holed. As soon as the tank got below 1/2 full, the problem showed intermittently, worsening as the fuel level dropped. Local radiator shop is sweating in a new pickup tube this week. JUst one more thing to check for a problem.

Posted on: 2018/11/2 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I've made some progress on the issue of my '48 Deluxe Eight running rough. Unfortunately I think it was my fault . . . and I've misunderstood the configuration of the fuel system for the last 4 ? years. When I bought the car it had an auxiliary electric fuel pump that was plumbed in the 'draw through' configuration, just like my '54 Cavalier, however advice found on the AACA website suggests that for the type and brand of pump installed on the '48 power should have been supplied continuously, yet I was powering the pump for 'priming' purposes, and on occasion to recover from rough running. Once I had changed the E-pump to a design compatible with 'draw through' plumbing the car seems to have recovered, and runs much better. I've attached a file that fills-in a few more of the details.

Posted on: 2018/12/2 22:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Attaching a file didn't seem to work. Second try.

Posted on: 2018/12/2 22:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
First try docx file Edge as IE
Second try dox file IE11
Third try pdf file IE11

Attach file:

pdf Size: 192.07 KB; Hits: 63

Posted on: 2018/12/2 23:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
I used a rotary vane pump but installed a one-way check valve in the line to by-pass the pump to assure full flow through.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.26 KB)
8531_5c054a01134e8.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2018/12/3 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
That 48 has really had David scratching his head! He doesn't need to do that very often! Ernie, neighbor in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/12/3 12:03
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved