Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: '55 Torsion Level System Trouble Shooting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The PNR kit is not polarity-sensitive.

Posted on: 2018/12/12 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for the info as I have been having problems finding out from them.

Posted on: 2018/12/13 16:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I was finally able to get back to this issue. Today I checked the following:

1. Voltage on the Lt Green wire to the dash switch & got 12V
2. Found that the dash switch works fine
3. Verified that the fuse inside the car was good
4. Measured 12V on the solenoid underneath the car
5. Found brake lights work fine (Remember that I have 2 pole brake switch with a relay in the system
6. Found that I have 12V on the Lt Green wire on the TL Controller.
7. Found that the 12V in step 6 goes to 0 when the brakes are applied.

I briefly looked for the limit switches and did not find them. At this point I decided that it was time to call it a day

Posted on: 2018/12/25 17:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds as if the voltages are all there as long as the 12v measured on the solenoids was on the buss bar connected between the two large terminals as well as on the small terminals. The problem could now be electrical or mechanical. If the motor tries to move and nothing happens it is probably mechanical in the compensator box but if the motor never moves and you have voltage to the control box and solenoids then electrical past that point. Make sure brushes are making good contact with the armature and there is still a good ground to the control box via the mounting bolts. If that is good there is a possibility the contacts inside the box have oxidized and cannot bring in the relays. That seems to be something that can happen with age and even with a NOS box that has sat on the shelf for years. If nothing else is found you might drill the rivets and remove the control box cover. Clean the contacts with a point burnisher. Just be very gentle with them as the arms are somewhat delicate. The cover can be reinstalled using screws and nuts.

On a 55 the limit switches are combined in a single box mounted on the bracket with the solenoids. The transverse bars will contact a part on the switch and move it to one side or the other to activate the limit switch for the direction moving.

Here are some photos of the limit switch setup courtesy of Stewart and his 55 now under restoration. The control box was the same internally 55-56 with the difference being on the outside with how and where the terminals were mounted.

Attach file:

jpg  (148.72 KB)
209_5c22af81c4d9e.jpg 937X1049 px

jpg  (134.45 KB)
209_5c22afb0bbb7d.jpg 1200X900 px

jpg  (118.59 KB)
209_5c22afcd7785b.jpg 1200X900 px

jpg  (148.12 KB)
209_5c22b0fbd1b0c.jpg 1010X1273 px

Posted on: 2018/12/25 17:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I was able to do some troubleshooting on the unit. I disconnected the linkage between TL Controller and the TL arm. With the dash switch on when the turnbuckle was pushed in one direction, the system worked while it did not in the other direction.

With the dash switch off, I preformed steps 7 & 8 on page 45 mentioned in the Electrical section on the Service manual. Grounding terminal "B" (Pink wire the motor runs) while grounding terminal "A" nothing happens. I tested the motor with 12 volts I've determined that the motor runs in both directions.

Posted on: 2018/12/28 15:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That would indicate the problem is most likely either the wire from terminal A to the limit switch, the limit switch itself or a solenoid.

Check that the limit switch has not been activated and somehow the actuating bar got stuck and left the switch open on one side. There is a small space between the bar pivot and bottom of switch. Some debris could have gotten wedged or something was bent keeping the actuator bar from moving.

The solenoid can be tested by grounding the small terminal on the solenoid. If the motor moves the solenoid is OK. That test point bypasses the limit switch so just energize the solenoid long enough to verify the motor moves and not long enough to get either transverse bar close to the compensator body.

If you need a new solenoid, they need a ground to operate so are different from a regular starter solenoid and not typically found in most parts stores. Some cars use identical configuration solenoids for each direction and others have a mirror image layout where the solenoids kind of face each other. Difference in solenoids is which side the battery terminal is on. That is the terminal which connects to the long copper buss bar fed from the starter solenoid and fuse.

Here are modern Cole-Hersee replacements. Check your layout but I believe the 24046 is the one most have used. Sometimes larger NAPA stores will have or can order them and they are usually available -- generally at less cost -- thru an Ebay vendor and maybe Amazon.

Attach file:

jpg  (124.91 KB)
209_5c2685037ef37.jpg 860X1300 px

Posted on: 2018/12/28 15:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard,

Thanks for your expert help. I think you have helped solve the problem. Both solenoids checked out and the arm on the limit switch (LS) was not hung up. Therefore, I looked at the yellow wire connection from the LS. Since it was a crimped connection with a little corrosion, I decided to clean it up and solder it.

When I tested it with the dash switch off preforming steps 7 & 8 as previously mentioned the motor worked and the car leveled out.

Again Thanks to everyone for your help.

Posted on: 2018/12/28 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Well success was short lived. I drove the car to several stores the other day and on the way there, everything worked nice. The TL motor would kick in and level the car out. After the last store on the way home the rear went low and the front end high.

I jacked the car up and did the test with the system shutoff under the dash. Once again the "pink' wire terminal to ground would not kick the motor on. I pulled the TL Controller and noticed that the rivets had been replaced the unit was rebuilt with relays and solid state stuff. While inside, I lightly filed the contact points on the switch.

Next thing I want to do is to remove the limit switch and open it up and clean the contact points in it. I hope to do it on New Years Day. What better way to start 2019 off underneath a Great Classic Packard.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you Packardites.

Posted on: 2018/12/31 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I did some more testing on the unit & felt that the trouble was with the limit switch. Replaced the switch with with a NOS unit and everything appears to be in working order now. Time will tell.

Posted on: 2019/1/11 18:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to hear. If you take your old switch apart to check it out would be interesting to know if you find anything. I suspect those contacts could also oxidize or maybe one of the arms holding a contact flexed enough to weaken or break.

Posted on: 2019/1/12 0:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved