Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Packing rear axle bearings on a 39
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
OK, forgot about the great parts list on the forum, shoes are the same front & back

Looking for assembly now, as memory faded
Pulled the right side apart about 2 weeks ago, being certain I kept track of the shims. Took photos of the assembly but I forgot the order.

From the axle tube flange, the shims, a gasket, the backing plate,a gasket, the outside seal & plate, the oil shield plate?

Worse comes to worse, I can pull the other side apart, but would prefer getting one side done at a time

Posted on: 2019/2/14 14:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Think the 39 axle is same as later and don't believe you want a soft gasket behind the backing plate. That distance behind the plate and axle housing controlled by any shims determines axle end play and needs to be a solid arrangement. Believe the sequence is axle housing, shim, backing plate, gasket, oil seal and retainer, gasket, and finally the oil guard or shield being sure the side of the shield on the bottom is the one that can direct any leaking oil to and out of the hole in the backing plate.

Attach file:

jpg  (80.36 KB)
209_5c65d3feac6c1.jpg 1380X704 px

Posted on: 2019/2/14 15:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Perfect, thank you. I typed the order wrong, knowing the gasket material could not be by the shims.

Where did you dig up that diagram? Would love to have one for the brakes and the multitude of parts that the Packard engineers designed in. I took photos, and still have the left side to fall back on if need be

Thanks again!

john

Posted on: 2019/2/14 16:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, the brakes were primarily engineered by Bendix, not Packard. Packard just selected and optimized from appropriate standard assemblies from Bendix. Not really much different from the way Packard specd out starters and generators and distributors from Delco and Autolite. I have the full Bendix brake catalog covering 1941-1950 and should be able to provide you with illustrations of typical Bendix brake assemblies of the era if you should need them, though the illustrations in Packard's Parts Lists are usually very good.

Posted on: 2019/2/14 17:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks again

The issue I am having is with the 3 parts in this photo. I believe the upper 2 should be 1 part that has worn thru, but can't figure out what it looked like. The two parts do not fit together but appears the part on the right may have been swaged to the part on the left? I assume it goes over the eccentric at the top of the backing plate, but what is its purpose and in which direction does the part on the left go and what is the small hole on the left for?
And, is the clip in the middle part of the parking brake? The other side did not have this clip that I could see

Attach file:

jpg  (51.54 KB)
111944_5c65ef1cce845.jpg 490X1008 px

Posted on: 2019/2/14 17:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Doing one side at a time is a "sure cure" for the reverse installation or "where the hell does this part go." I feel your pain being in a hurry and not documenting/labeling or/and taking pictures of assemblies is a brain twister if you have to walk away from the project for a time. Good luck.
Steve

Posted on: 2019/2/14 20:12
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Yep....sidetracked for one thing or another and then a delay in ordering and getting the parts.

Took plenty of photos so was not concerned when I pulled this backing plate off. Decided media blast and paint was in order, so stripped plates of all hardware, figuring just a couple of eccentrics and washers...yeah right. Then this broken part is what has thrown me for the current curve.

SO, unless I get lucky and someone posts a diagram, guess I'll pull the other side off tomorrow, with pen, paper and camera in hand!

Posted on: 2019/2/14 20:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is the reinforcing plate under the upper anchor pin riveted to the backing plate or is it loose? That is about the only thing in photos of the brake assy that is thick and sort of resembles the piece you are asking about but that is sort of a wild guess unless there is a broken off part on yours. Most times the anchor pin only uses a round washer at the outer end to keep the springs from moving too far inward so doubt that piece goes there. The clip doesn't resemble anything I can remember but it might be something aftermarket.

Posted on: 2019/2/14 20:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
There are two reinforcing plates under the top eccentric pin, both riveted and/or spot welded. The small clip is for the parking brake
Here is what it looked like before and now. The springs rest on top of another plate shown. I put the two mystery parts in the photo for size reference

Attach file:

jpg  (75.33 KB)
111944_5c66200343d3b.jpg 490X1008 px

jpg  (108.24 KB)
111944_5c662055016a8.jpg 1008X490 px

Posted on: 2019/2/14 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any chance those pieces could have gotten mixed in from somewhere and not be part of the brake. Sure don't see anything like it in the parts or service manuals. Also, a question on the flat spring which is on the connecting bar between the shoes for emergency brake link in your completed photo. Parts books and SM photos all seem to show it on the shoe end and not the operating lever end. It looks kind of vulnerable the way it is partially down inside the mating area and the slot in the bar doesn't look like it is engaged with the lever very well. Is the cross bar in properly end for end or 180 out.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.61 KB)
209_5c66249065589.jpg 790X664 px

Posted on: 2019/2/14 21:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved