Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 76

Gary Kulp, Ross, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
352 is not a Y block, and I don't think it'll fit a Packard V8.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
The 352 is a FE Block. 332,352,361 edsel,360 truck,390,406,410,427,428,.

The y-block is 239,256,272,292,312.

I was going by the picture that was posted earlier in the thread.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 20:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know nothing about Ford engines so what is the basic difference in the pumps? The pict posted earlier is of a Bosch off the Napa website which says it fits the Y 292 & 312--looks similar to Packard except the arm is slightly bent vs the Carter straight. The one posted for the FE engine looks the same to me--unless the arm length or something in the mount holes is different.

Don't need a pump but since O-D & Jeff have shamed me into reinstalling the vacuum wipers, when they arrive rebuilt next week will probably need to add a vacuum assist since the engine has a PI pump. Just looking for that option--as well as trying it out for any others that have the PI or Olds oil pump. Am still a bit concerned about the vacuum portion touching the block which is why I was hoping someone familiar with the Nash or Hudson had a number.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 20:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A call or email to the HET club should lead to info about OEM pump and modern interchange. The 55-57 Hudson tech advisor is Paul Schuster, <hudson1957@aol.com>.

PS - I meant this only in response to HH56's question about the OEM double-action fuel pump used on the Hudson/Nash engines, and a modern replacement for same.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check with Kanter. IIRC a few years ago someone bought a Kanter pump and it had a bent arm too. The bent arm type will work. Can't remeber if mine has the bent arm or not. Seems to me like it does.

OR, u can go tot the AACA website and search on fuel pump to find the discussion about streight and bent arms.
Either will work just fine assuming the bent arm is correct.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 21:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
the bent arm will work alright. the airtex pump i put on the dragon was bent. i believe that the pump you are asking about will work just fine. the one i put on the dragon actualy extends a lil farther out away from the engine than normal. that being said, i would think the one you are asking about prob dose too.

OK ERIC, what is this crap about an Oreilly girl?!!! you say'n i'd know more if i was An Oreilly GIRL? An OREILLY GUY not good enough for ya? LOL.

p.s. the cost of the pumps have gone way up! it cost me $44!

Posted on: 2009/3/9 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
OK ERIC, what is this crap about an Oreilly girl?!!! you say'n i'd know more if i was An Oreilly GIRL? An OREILLY GUY not good enough for ya? LOL.

No, it's just that I prefer innies instead of outies.

That being said, I miss my contacts at the Oreilly's that I used to go to. When I left the Ford dealership to come here and work at Cessna, they apparently all left. It was nice because I could go in there and they'd let me behind the counter and look for my own stuff. Being a parts guy at the time also helped. Heck, we used to sit in the back room and smoke (cigarettes) while I was looking through the catalogs! I was an auto parts guy for about 10 years until I came here, and it looks like I may become one again soon.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
lol 'nuff said!

Posted on: 2009/3/10 20:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I'm told this Carter is a good one for our 55-56 packards too!

Attach file:

jpg  (19.49 KB)
20_49b728dcba4f9.jpg 526X482 px

Posted on: 2009/3/10 21:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks almost identical to the stock one except for the bent arm and second hole??--must be the difference between a 2198. I'm going to order the Bosch dual (or Napa version of it) with that same arm and hope the vacuum portion doesn't rub the block. May not be original, but less obvious than the electric wiper. Next decision if it fits is whether to use the balancing valve or just plumb in series like the earlier cars.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 22:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved