Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

29tons, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Wheel prep for tubeless tires?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
I ended up wire wheeling my rims, then cleaned and primed with epoxy. I sprayed the inside face and areas the tires sit with black epoxy spray paint. Haven't had any leaks so far with my new Diamondbacks, so I'm assuming the epoxy primer did the trick.

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I think this is the route I'm going to go.

-Chris

Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
I think '53 is far enough along to be totally welded. This was mostly a case of riveted wheels, which would've been the case in '48.
Doesn't hurt to protect steel from corrosion in any case.
All else fails put a tube in.

That's interesting. I didn't even know they used to rivet wheels. Yeah, I may paint the inside just for good measure.

Thank you,

-Chris

Quote:

Wat_Tyler wrote:
My inclination would be: silicone caulk. I've used and misused it to seal all manner of leaky bits off and on for the last 40 years. Contrary to rumor, it doesn't bond the parts, but it will make them a bit more difficult to take apart should that become necessary, like on those threads that just won't seal.

If it's water-tight, it's air-tight, too.

I thought about that but I didn't know if it would be too heavy or not.

-Chris

Quote:

Phil Randolph wrote:
" Phil Swift here" Spray on Flex Seal

Haha! Funny enough, I actually have two small cans of this stuff that I received at an aviation event. I still haven't used 'em on anything. I suppose it would work well for this.

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/6/23 11:45
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Late on this, but my 54 wheels were so crusty they wouldn't seal and leaked air. I had them media blasted clean to remove any trace of rust, then primed with epoxy and painted inside and out.

The '54 rims are different as they were made for tubeless tires.

Posted on: 2021/6/28 9:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
My preference for sealing two metals where you want a great seal with some flexibility is to use a polyurethane caulking compound (Home Depot). Of course, the key to success with any of the products mentioned above is a good, clean surface. There is also automotive seam sealer found in paint stores that specialize in auto paints. It has great adhesion propertied with some flexibility.

Posted on: 2021/6/29 17:56
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Late on this, but my 54 wheels were so crusty they wouldn't seal and leaked air. I had them media blasted clean to remove any trace of rust, then primed with epoxy and painted inside and out.

The '54 rims are different as they were made for tubeless tires.

Did they leak where the tire mated to the rim or between the two halves?

Thanks Kev!

-Chris

Quote:

Marty or Marston wrote:
My preference for sealing two metals where you want a great seal with some flexibility is to use a polyurethane caulking compound (Home Depot). Of course, the key to success with any of the products mentioned above is a good, clean surface. There is also automotive seam sealer found in paint stores that specialize in auto paints. It has great adhesion propertied with some flexibility.

I had thought about automotive seem sealer but I've heard it can be expensive and I imagine I wouldn't need a lot.

The caulk sounds like a plan too, but I'm not sure if it's needed. I'm sure once the tires are off, I'll have a better idea of how to tackle this.

Thank you!

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/7/6 14:44
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved