Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1941 Packard Radio/Antenna Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe these radios have a trimmer capacitor to tune the radio to the antenna. The adjustment is made by tuning the radio to a weak station usually in the higher frequency range and then turning a screw adjustment on the outside of the radio until the best reception is received. A tuned antenna makes a big difference in reception and quality.

Radio Shack used to sell radio noise suppression kits which consisted of a resistor that was installed in the coil to distributor high tension lead and some capacitors to fit to the generator and other places.

Posted on: 2021/9/29 11:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Hi all,

I ended up tossing the cheap antenna from my failed under-the-fender experiment but will look into picking up another one and running the experiment you suggest, HH.

One thing though -- I keep reading that AM antennas must be oriented vertically to have any hope of functioning well, so it seems and under-the-fender installation will be a futile exercise, even if properly grounded/shielded?

Posted on: 2021/9/30 17:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I had not read there was a particular orientation for a fender antenna but I am not really a radio guy and suppose it is possible. Running board antennas were an option for many years and those are horizontal but perhaps there is something in the way that two masts are generally used in that type antenna has something to do with orientation --- or it could just be that body metal shields a considerable amount and the second mast is just for added gain.

There are repro running board antennas available but at a fairly hefty cost.https://classiccarreproductions.com/product/under-running-board-antenna/ I wonder if it would be feasible to try and make something along the lines of the Packard version using tubing and insulating bracket pieces made of materials from McMaster or a similar vendor. The masts must be kept from touching metal but by using plastic insulating material between metal brackets clamped to the running board and masts that is not too hard. The two isolated masts are connected together at the rear while the antenna lead in cable center conductor attaches to one mast in the front with the lead in shield grounded. If you still have your old antenna to use the special lead in wire that might be another easy thing to try.

Here is a bit from an old Yesterday's Radio catalog showing the mast and insulating detail. Lavine bought the business and it would be nice to get a copy of the Packard bulletin mentioned in the old description but since it is not listed as a digital reprint not sure Lavine would sell it separately.

Attach file:

jpg  antenna.jpg (202.20 KB)
209_61563f1a2bbad.jpg 1236X1818 px

Posted on: 2021/9/30 17:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Kinda late but I recall this post.
Just so happens, I was having issues with boat stereo reception on my replacement boat. It has a "marine" AM/FM antenna which amounts to a short piece, ~2', of coax with a male end radio connector that branches into two ~2' long insulated wires that you spread out. They had it jammed together down in the side wall and wasn't correct. I reoriented and works beautifully now.
This would fit nicely up under the dash and only costs a few bucks.
search "marine antenna" dipole or under dash type.

Posted on: 2021/11/15 11:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Every -> now and -> then the talk revolved around this topic.

Click to see original Image in a new window
image contributed from Howard (HH56)

Posted on: 2021/11/15 14:25
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved