Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: fog lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
MOMENTARILY apply current tot he relay post that goes to the sw. If the test lites lite up then the dash sw. will need a battery feed wire going to the "BAT" terminal of the sw. and one of the other "blank" terminals of sw will go to the relay terminal for the sw.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 19:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There is also a STRONG POSSIBILITY that hte dash sw. was also connected to the headlite dip sw..

This is due to turning off the fog lites when the Brite headlites are on.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 19:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It strikes me odd that there are 2wo posts on the relay, one for each lite???? Strange.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is there any name on the fog lites??? Packard, Unity, Bosch or what???? Any name on the dash sw. ????

Posted on: 2009/4/9 20:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok the fact he switch has a 20 amp use in it, plus two "output" posts, I bet the switch was designed to power the fog lights directly without a relay. That is the only reason a switch would need a 20 amp fuse.

So each of the two non-batt terminals on the switch powers its own fog light.

You can tell that my applying power to the batt terminal and then using a test light connected to ground and then testing each of the other two terminals. When the switch is on, both terminals should light up when touched. When switched off, both should turn not light up.

So if this is in fact the way the switch is built, you can still hook it up per the diagram I provided, just leave one terminal with nothing hooked up to it. If you have the part number on the bosch relay I can draw you an updated diagram.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 20:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The problem is that how do we know that hte dash sw. is actualy meant as a fog lite sw.????? Two terminals on the sw. and or relay (one for each lite) make me suspicous that niether relay nor sw. is actualy for fog lites but orignated for some other application.

My '01 Dodge Ram has aftermarket Foglites. Uses a relay.

It would be advantagous to know what kind of amperage each fog lite draws on his Packard.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 21:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is a fog light switch, the second terminal may be for a tail light feed. Several of the wiring diagrams with fog lights show a second wire from the fog switch to the headlight switch tie point to energize tail lights. Is that particular switch illuminated by chance?

Posted on: 2009/4/9 21:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Thanks for all the help.

The fog lights say "Packard" on the housing.

There is no label on the switch, I got it on E-bay. It only has two positions - on and off. The advertisement said it could be used to switch on the fog lights with the tails lights like the original switch worked. (I probably will not do this)

The relay is marked: 6V 20/30A
BOSCH

974 (with a circle around it)
Made in Spain

I bought it from Fifth Avenue Internet Garage

It is similar to what is shown in the second diagram. but my car (49 Deluxe Eight - 23 Series) is positive ground.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
to HH 's question: the e-bay ad said it was illuminated, and again, could be used to switch on both the fog lights and the tail lights, as the factory switch worked.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I just took the knob off of the switch and it does, in fact, have a light bulb behind the knob.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 21:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved