Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Front floor mat/carpet
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ernie, it would be nice to document your original front floor covering with a couple of good photos. Also please clarify just which 1949 Deluxe Eight you own, 22nd or 23rd Series.

Posted on: 2022/8/12 18:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening Dave...Miss Prudence is a 23rd series...There is a photograph of both of us in the Vehicle Registry. I'll take a photograph of the carpet/rubber matting and send it to you tomorrow. I have mastered sending photographs on my phone but not on Packardinfo as yet. Ernie

Posted on: 2022/8/12 21:47
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Dave,

Saving you the search, here's Ernie's Registry entry for "Miss Prudence".

Posted on: 2022/8/12 22:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Dave,

Ernie forwarded a photo of the carpet to my phone, and after I figured out how to download it, I'm old , see below.

Attach file:

jpeg  Ernies front carpet.jpeg (232.23 KB)
226_62f7fe6a4fefa.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/8/13 14:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Mel maybe old...but he is faster than I am! A year ago I still had a flip phone and NOW for each thing I learn, I find five more things that I should know...I drive my Granddaughter crazy...she knows a few words that I did not know she knew! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/8/13 14:59
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ernie, thanks for the pix. JWL, does Ernie's image correspond to your recollection of the hybrid rubber/hogshair floor covering?

Now with the Eight, Eight Deluxe and Custom settled, anyone got a good photo of the original front floor covering for the Super and the 23rd Series Super Deluxe?

Posted on: 2022/8/13 17:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O-D, yes this is the type of front floor covering I recalled. A rubber mat with a hogshair type material embedded in it. We had a 21st Series Super Eight Clipper and it had the same type of front floor mat. Do not know if this carried forward to the 22nd and 23rd series cars. My non restored 21st Series Custom had its original carpeting in the front and back as well as the trunk area.

Posted on: 2022/8/14 11:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am curious if anyone knows if the other higher end cars -- Lincoln, Imperial, Cad -- also had such a divide with their lower cost models or did they not have anything considered lower cost and left that to the other nameplates in the lineup.

I know the lower end Packards were aimed toward the mid price market but with a Packard name on the body you would think that a half rubber treatment that might have been used on a deluxe low cost brand to be quite a comedown to a buyer and maybe a good indicator as to why they were losing market. Cost difference between half rubber and a slightly lower grade all carpet covering could not have been that signifiant.

It has been well reported that postwar Cadillacs took over the luxury market and such glaring differences between Packard models stands out. Same could be said for other more refined creature comfort features Cads offered but not available or kludgy even on the most senior Packards.

Posted on: 2022/8/14 12:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Cost difference between half rubber and a slightly lower grade all carpet covering could not have been that signifiant.

HH, according to Packard's annual reports to the stockholders, profits per car in 1949 and 1950 were less than $75. The 22/23rd Series run was about 275,000 vehicles, the majority of which were Eights; I don't have a feel for what the differences in cost might have been, but I suspect it may well have been significant.

Posted on: 2022/8/14 12:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe. I guess it would depend on how the covering was made. If it was a woven carpet off a roll and bonded to the rubber I would think the extra 12-18 inches of lower grade carpet vs the few ounces of additional rubber and fabrication cost would be minimal. If something like a layer of loose hogshair flocking type fibers sprayed or laid in a mold and then bonded to a full rubber mat as that was made then probably quite a difference.

Posted on: 2022/8/14 13:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved